CPU dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarlet

Solid State Member
Well I just built my first computer and it seems I've screwed something up. When I turn the power on my computer, the monitor remains blank. I thought it had something to do with the video card, reading a couple of post here. I unplugged the HD & DVD. Then made sure the RAM, vid card, cpu, fan were all plugged in. I tried to turn it on again, but there is still no signal to the monitor.

I noticed there is no beep from the CPU too. Does that mean it's dead? My first computer building experience isn't going exactly as planned :D Someone please help me :eek:

I'm using an Asus 8V Deluxe Motherboard, AMD Athlon 64 CPU, & GeForge 6600 AGP.

Could it be that ( i dont know if ur mobo has onboard video ) that if ur mobo did infact have this.. and wasnt disabled that it wouldnt read the video card?

His BIOS should change the option by it self, well mine does and so have older computers. Anyways that wouldn't be the problem if he isn't getting a beep or two. Are you sure you plugged in the little speaker to hear any beeps if there is any? Also try ONE stick of ram at a time with the CPU and video card, if it don't work take out the ram stick and test it, and so on till you can pin point the bad part. Hope i got that right.....

Make sure all your jumpers are in the right configuration. I made a mistake similar to this in another posting.

Also check your USB wires that plug into the mobo. if you have separate wires and one of those are backwards or in the wrong pin it would cause issues. (at least it did with mine.)

You can also try the bare minimum first. (CPU fan, mobo, hhd.) if the mobo lights up after that, then add something each time until it dies, then you know what might be causing a problem. What size PSU are you using??? if you have something like a 250 or 300W it might not be enough power... I know it sounds crazy, but...

At last resort.... pull it all apart and test it without being in the case. If it works, then it might be something grounded... Hope I could help.

Craig

Ok I got it to work! whew thanks everyone. It turns out that it was the RAM. I had to shove that thing in so hard :x I thought I was going to snap the motherboard for a sec there lol. Is it usually that hard to stick the RAM in completely?

The only semi-problem I have now is a weird message when I boot up. It says "no drive attached to fasttrack controller. the bios is not installed" after it scans for IDE drives I think? Is that normal?

After that Windows XP loads and all is fine.

Yeah, I put my ocz golds in last night and they were a bit hard to put in. I just pushed down and then kind of snapped the levers down that held the ram in place. Came out fine. Having a bit of a prob with my peripherals... wish some people would get on msn or aim to help me lol.

Dont know about the new problem your having..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom