Originally Posted by CalcProgrammer1
I've really been considering the H50 but have heard mixed reviews. I'll probably end up getting one but I don't know if it's good for a fan-heavy case like the Nine Hundred. With the large top exhaust fan, would it be better to have the airflow into the case or out of it?
The main problem I have with water cooling is that setting it up yourself can be expensive and the equipment can be large, the H50 is small and affordable and if it works well I'll probably get one.
I too heard lots of mixed reviews in regards to the H50 [I literally read hundreds of reviews and dozens of comparison charts...]. I've never owned a water cooled system so I really wanted to try it. I finally found it for under $60 and decided to take the plunge...I purchased it last week and installed it over the weekend...
To be honest with you, I do not see that much of an improvement in temps over some of the air-cooled fans I have used over the years.
Here is what I like best about it:
1. Weight-No longer have so much unnecessary weight on the MB-therefore it is safer.
2. Size-Much more room in my case and I think that leads to much better air circulation, which leads to lower overall case temps.
3. Uniqueness-now all my friends are impressed because they only have air-cooled system [not a very good reason to buy it, by the way].
4. Installation-many of the reviews stated it was terribly difficult to install. I took the advice of many posters and watched the installation video twice before starting. To be honest with you, it was a total piece of cake.
Here is what I do not like about it:
1. The temps are just about the same as my CM 212 Plus, Arctic Freezer 7, Sunbeam Core-Contact Freezer, V8, etc.
All in all, I was a little disappointed when I saw the temps. But when I began to think about the other factors such as weight, size, and uniqueness, I decided it was well worth it.
If your number one motivation in CPU cooling is cooler temps, I wouldn't recommend the H50. If the other factors such as weight, size, and uniqueness are important to you, then it is a great deal.
I also found a huge discrepancy when looking at different CPU cooler temperature comparison charts. I am not sure why that is occurring across the board. Perhaps there are other factors that people are not listing, or if not, then lots of people's noses are growing just like Pinocchio and they had best call for the woodpeckers...
Have a good one.