CPU cooler/HS weight, problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

traviswrx

In Runtime
I was looking here- http://xoxide.com/insoc42pen4c.html .

And I noticed a lot of the items are almost double the weight of the recommended weight for the mobo. I have a intel P4 2.8 ghz cpu right now.
My CPU doesn't run real high or anything, 34C when I'm searching here, on AIM, checking Email and running everest home edition, also on limewire. What I'm really getting to is, how heavy can I get for a CPU cooler while still being safe? Thanks. My mobo is a Asustek P4SD-LE.

I think the max weight the Intel P4 CPU can handle
without worry is 450g.

If you go higher in weight you need to be careful of
excessive case movement as in LAN party cases.

get the xp-120 its the best cooler there and it is lighter than ur limit.

Add more screws into the case which holdes the mobo if you have not already done so, also the Thermalright XP-120 weighs in less then a stock AMD Cooler or virtually the same. ;)

Thermalright xp-120 says its for 3.2ghz up, my computer is 2.8ghz.

Edit. I was looking at a few other models, and they said up to 3.2 ghz. Am I not understanding something here? What should I get then?

Well if it says up to 3.2GHz and yours is only 2.8GHz then doesn't that basically cover yours? So watcha worried about? They say up to those speeds regarding heat output, as long as the sockets the same it'll work...this isn't to say that you couldn't put it on a 3.5GHz chip, or anything like that, but obviously a 3.5GHz chip would run hotter than 3.2GHz in most instances.

Also most motherboards can take a good amount of weight before they'd actually like...break, but likes been said above, it's a good idea to make sure you aren't bumping your case around, or while moving to a LAN or something, but if it just sits on the floor those heavier heatsinks will be fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom