CPU Confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmellyOne

Baseband Member
Hi, I purchased a new motherboard recently and everything is working great accept some confusion with the cpu. I'm having trouble with the cpu temp and clock speed.

Specs:

CPU: Core 2 Duo E6600
MB: Abit IP35 Pro Newegg.com - ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
PSU: 650W

Clock Problem: I am not sure whether or not my cpu is being underclocked or if the programs I am using are inaccurate. In BIOS, it states that the estimated clock speed is 2.4GHz. As does the "General" Tab in "System Properties" in Windows XP SP2. However programs like CPU-Z and PC Wizard 2008 say that it is running at 1.6GHz. I'm Thinking that they are both getting the multiplier incorrect. But I just want to be sure that my processor isn't being underclocked. Are there any ways of making sure?

Temperature Probem: I've used multiple programs to try and figure out the temp of my cpu. However im getting mixed results and am not sure wether or not I mounted my heatsink correctly. By the way my heatsink is Newegg.com - ZALMAN CNPS9500 LED 92mm 2 Ball Cooling Fan with Heatsink - Retail

My heatsink is rather cool to the touch. I'm not sure if this is just because of really good airflow or if I just mounted my heatsink incorrectly.

Program Temp Results:

PC Wizard 2008: 41C Idle
SpeedFan:31C Idle
Uguru: 41C Idle

I have not tried any other programs other than Everest which did not detect the temperature.

Now the reason the 41C does not make sense is because the heatsink is cool to the touch and my old motherboard read 35C Idle for the same processor overclocked to 3.0GHz(and it was warm to the touch). Do you think perhaps I mounted my heatsink/fan incorrectly? Or are these programs failing to detect correct temperatures from my motherboard?

Thank for any help.

The Core 2 Duo CPU is designed to lower the clock speed and voltage when it's not being used.

The e6600 should have:
FSB 266Mhz, multipliers (6-9)

IDLE: 266*6 = ~1.6Ghz
LOAD: 266*9 = ~2.4Ghz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom