Counter-strike error when overclocked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zipp080

Baseband Member
Yesterday I overclocked my AMD64 to 2.2 ghz (200 mhz) and tested the idle and load temps. They never reached above 35C during benchmarking. Acouple of hours went by and I joined a scrim later that night and after about 1-5 mins of being connected to the server, I get a windows XP error box saying that HL.exe has caused an illegal error and asks if I want to report it. Well this happened everytime I joined the server (about 5 times) Until I realized why it was doing this. So I rebooted and went back to the default stock speed of 2ghz and the problem stopped. Is there some known issue with overclocking that I am missing here thats causing this error? I am guessing it is not overheating problem because my temps are staying below 35C and anything beloe 50C is normal.

The CPU itself.. The mobo temp is reading actually about 30-36C as well. But that's because I have a 40$ heatsink/fan on it spinning at 5500RPM.

It's most likely because cpu is rounding wrong which creates the error.. try downloading prime95 and run that program i'll guarentee that you'll get errors within 5-10 minutes of running that. If you are, you're going to be getting random errors like that. The more you overclock the more errors you are likely to get.

Ok I am running the program now. If that is the case that my computer is "unstable" and rounding wrong, what does that mean? Is that just bad luck that I got a processor like that? Why can some people OC this same processor to 600mhz, and when I get 200mhz my game crashes? Again, it can't be the heat, because as right now my processor has been running at 100% for 10 minutes, and the temp is idle at 39C which I think is a pretty cool temp seeing as how it used to run at 50-55C before I got my new heatsink/fan.

it could defianetly be the chip itself, some chips can overclock and perform a lot better than others can, although i think it'd be best to snag a second opinion from someone else, this is just what i've been thinking... do the stress test on p95

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom