Core i7 Overclock questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

WWS

In Runtime
Is it better to overclock using the bios or the utilites that run in windows? Also for those that have overclocked what steps did you take?

its definitely best to OC through the BIOS

basically, with i7, you've got to increase the base clock (bclk) and the core voltage... you'll also want to put some more voltage on the NB and RAM... you'll have to play with the uncore settings as well

Well I must be missing something because I cant get this thing to overclock. Did anyone get the i7 920 to overclock well?

you have to add voltage to these here

vcore
qpi vtt
iohcore (i think that was the uncore)
and your system memory if need be

i've had mine run 3dmark @ 3.96ghz

up ur base clock (bclk) to 165 change ur vcore to 1.33v, qpi multi to 34x, qpi voltage to 1.35v maybe even 1.4 ifthat don't work.. uncore set to auto (max uncore will be 4000mhz.. so keep it less than that)

the core i7 920 will run at 3.8ghz with 1.35v setting (20x190). actually with turbo mode it makes your multiplier 21x190 which makes it run a 3.99 on the same volts.

Turbo mode works prefectly fine under stress. It only works if it is running cool enough. Im running 21x200(turbo) right now at 1.475v in bios, and 1.54v in windows. Not sure how voltage is higher than bios settings but meh, temps are fine.
read this, you too nos
EVGA X58 and Tri-SLi - [H]ard|Forum

Using those settings i'm currently running at 4.2ghz.
This assumes you have a GOOD cooler.

the Gibabyte boards should carve up for bus OCing... we all know its just cuz nos sucks! lol he should be able to run with turbo mode and OCed, but im not really sure how precisely to enable it (i didnt dig around too much when i got to test one of those beasts)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom