Core 2 duo stay away from thermaltake big typhoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raknor

In Runtime
As some of you already know i purchased a thermaltake big typhoon from my local radio shack yesterday. It installed easily enough but i got temps around 45c no oc. Turns out i put to much arctic silver 5 on so i removed the paste and tried again. This produced 39c oc @ 3.2ghz and 60 on load. not to bad i guess but i wanted more i removed again and reseated for the 3rd time........same results. If you are looking for a heatsink get the tuniq tower, i just ordered it. for a c2d chip the big typhoon just isnt worth 40$ its a waste. learn from my mistake :)

will update with info on how the tuniq does in a day or so when the egg gets it to me.

btw heard that the upgraded model the big typhoon vx does a much better job cooling but i cant speak for that...

Your base was probably uneven.. Big Typhoons kinda suck at that but after a lap job they're awesome. It still should've done better then 60 load at stock.. What are you using to monitor your temps?

yeah meaning it takes a little time for it to reach peak efficiency. you need to run your computer and turn it off when you are done for about 100 or so hours. after that, you can leave it on 24/7 if you want.
you will have a noticable temperature drop from the time you apply the as-5 to the time it is cured.
ie the temps when you apply it will be higher than they will end up over a little time.

thats a little warm, yeah for a c2d as far as i know. i use amd, and my 65nm chip idles at 26* stock voltage. it will get up to 40* idle if i raise the voltage to about 1.5V...i hardly ever do that, only when i have the oc bug. but how is your case flow? whats the ambient temp in your room, etc etc etc lots of factors influence temps...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom