Core 2 Duo Overclocking Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a sub £130 ($280) Motherboard that anyone could recomend for an E6300/E6400 as I have about £300 to spend, and I dont know whether to go down the Core 2 route or go AMD, so tempt me with good motherboards!

Ruan

there are lots of people here using a gigabyte DS3 and OCing very well. otherwise the ASUS PW5's are better but not as good of a price/performance ratio.

definately go C2D though. you can OC an E6300 past AMD's best processor w/ most everything stock. (that AMD processor is over 4 times more than an E6300.)

I'm done testing, and went for an nForce 4 SLI X16 board (the Asus) ... mostly because it has lots of features (me likes features :p) and it has a fully supported (in Linux) IDE controller with two slots ... oh and it's SLi.

I'll post back about it's overclocking capabilities, but I'm not expecting much. Either way, the E6600 is faster than an FX-62 at stock speeds most of the time so I'm still happy.

hey general, thanks again for the help w/ the computer. i literally just installed pro x64 on my new rig. I didn't have any way to remove the stock HSF's thermal pad when i was installing it so i'll be adding AS5 to it in a few weeks when i go back home and can get some stuff.

hey guys. well i've run into the noob problem of not knowing BIOS very well. my specs are below and i've installed all the newest drivers for my hardware.

I was told to up the voltage on my ram to 2.1V from 1.8V the stock settings have them set at. did that.

now here's my problem i open up CPUZ and it tells me that my ram is running at DDR2-800 (good) but at 5-5-5-18 or something crappy like that. how do i fix that?

it also shows that my motherboard/cpu is running at DDR2-667 speeds and i want to bump that up to DDR2-800.

sorry to ask in here but i can't find screenshots or anything in th OCing guides i've looked at and i don't wanna ruin my new system.

thanks guys.

To remove the gray thermal pad from the heatsink, rub it off with a paper towel, or a terry cloth towel if you're a freak-show and think paper towels scratch metal. :rolleyes:

ok i might try that. it's probably melted down now though as i've been running the computer for about 10 hours now. will that get it all off or should i wait to get some "isoprople" or whatever it's called to get it all off?

well the only thing with that RAm is that(and i haven't seen those in particular) they are probably 5-5-5-12, or 4-5-4-12. I had OCZ RAM picked out, but i changed to the g skill because from what ive heard they overclock very well. Being able to overclock your RAM is pretty important, because that alows you to put your procesor up higher too. See what the timings are for that OCZ. 4-4-4-12 are optimal for overclocking. And read the reviews, see if people were ablt to overclock with it well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom