Cooling Upgrade Options

Status
Not open for further replies.
got a jig saw? that would be even better. and while your at it you could paint the inside of your case back :D

Unfortunately, no jigsaw :( And I really don't want to mess with painting the inside of the case... way too much work! :p

Would this do the job? 120mmx120mm is the fan size, which turns out to be about 4.74 inches, so I'd have .24 inches of unused space, but that's like not much at all. I then plan to use the modders mesh from Mnpctech as the fan grill for the top.

RIDGID No. 7031, 4 1/2 In. Bi-Metal Hole Saw - 7031 at The Home Depot

I'm not a "fan" of bottom fans. They tend to turn your PC into a vacumn cleaner.

I would definitely put a exhaust fan on the top. The best place to add a intake fan, imho, is in the side panel lined up with the Northbridge if possible.

I'm using a Scythe Ultra Kaze with my True Copper, works good, two of them will be quite noisy thou. I think you'll be surprised by the amount of hot air the top exhaust fan will remove.

A Dremel will work much better than a Jigsaw if you can get your hands on one. That hole saw will work, but be careful, if it snags it can really mess things up.

Lapping your heatsink may help :D

FrozenCPU Deluxe Heatsink Lapping Kit - FrozenCPU.com

^I had decided to do the side fan today as I thought more about it. I have the perfect place for a side intake and I think it would help get more cool air for my heatsink this way. I would then setup the top vent as well.

Where might I get access to a dremel? Some machining shop?

Not really sure were you might borrow one. Possibly a machine shop, maybe a body shop. Do you know anyone that does crafts or a Handyman.

Their not that expensive and it's a really handy tool. You can buy all kinds of adapters/add-on's.
This is a Black & Decker Model with a cord.
Walmart.com: Black & Decker 3 Speed RTX Rotary Tool (Model# RTX-B): Home Improvement

Here's a Cordless model (I hate screwing with the batteries, I like a cord).
Walmart.com: Dremel Cordless Rotary Tool: Home Improvement

I don't see the cut-off disc's but their cheap.

So with a dremel and cutting discs, I kind of just draw where I want to cut and slowly trace my lines with the dremel? Is there a good method for rounding the edges or something to keep it from being too sharp?

EDIT: Never mind on that last part, found the U-channel molding :)

I have a 120mm fan template at my office, I'll turn it into a .pdf unless you have autocad. I think Bill has a template posted over at mnpctech or it might be at the Mod Brothers site. I usually masking tape the area up with a couple layers. Then I place the template into position and tape it down. Drill the 4 screw holes next. Then I slowly cut the circle, you can cut it pretty cirular with the Dremel and clean it up with a smallish round or curved faced file.

The only thing I don't like about the moulding from mnpctech is it's not adhesive. If your careful and you can keep people from touching it it works fine. If your careful you add use weatherstriping glue to keep it in place no matter who might poke at it.

Or theres this moulding. It's not as wide as the stuff from mnpctech so it doesn't overlap as much but it's adhesive.

Solid Wall Polyethylene Grommet Edging with Adhesive - Black Products Model: GES-BK05 [GES-BK05] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

Here is pictures of my case and where I plan to add fan holes. Thanks for the tips, Slaymate. I'll go get that template downloaded and I'm off to go buy a dremel now as I can see plenty of uses for one in the future :)

001.JPG
003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

You don't have a lot of room there. How much clearance do you have between the sidepanel and the tips of the heatsink heatpipes. Remember the panel has to slide so you need to take that range of movement into account :D

Yeah the side intake is going to have to be placed just right, if I'll even be able to fit it there at all. The clearance with my HS is like, none at all, and the clearance above the GPU is maybe 2 inches or so, so I may not be able to do a side intake fan at all unless I make one that is 80/90mm :( The top exhaust fan looks like it will fit no problem.

Unfortunately for me, I bought this rig to be a "mild" gamer for about $500 back in the day. Then I got an XFX HD 4890 Extreme, a 22" 1080p monitor, and another hard drive so now I'm fighting to move that air :p If I would have known I'd be getting such an upgrade/modders addiction I'd have gotten a bigger case to begin with!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom