Cooling system

Status
Not open for further replies.
That oil submersion cooling is probably a good 5 years old and cannot handle the current heat outputs pcs are putting out. Waste of money.

The problem with "oil cooling" is that if you leave your computer on for hours (lets say 10+) and you have some heat generating components, then you now have oil that is heating more than it's cooling. Once all of the oil is warm, there will be very little circulation to cool the oil down.
Another downside would be upgrades. To upgrade, you need to drain the oil, clean all of the oil off, make sure any sockets/plugs are clean, then install the new hardware. A time consuming process.

They claim
(after one year) "The machine is still running strong! We are having no problems with stability, and it has now been running for over a year, most of the time at 80C! It is very easy to lower the temperature through a radiator, or just putting the system into standby at night, but we wanted to see if stability would be affected by higher temperature."

(after three years) "Though the PC was still running strong, the hardware was getting older, and we wanted to upgrade to something faster! At our office, we've upgraded to our Version Two system! Still in fully working condition, this original system has been retired to storage, and we'll pull it out from time to time to see if there are any ill effect over long term oil submersion."
They do offer DIY instructions so it is not as though your only choice is to buy it from them, they have no reason to make a false claim.

I offered it as cheap solution that he would not mess-up trying.

They are not the only ones who claim it works:

I know SprayCool (http://www.spraycool.com/products/enclosures_MandA_promo.asp) is the best, but can he afford it. You can tell us how you built your own (SprayCool) and post the pics please. :lol:

You have a pretty ridiculous sense of cheap...

As has been discussed for the last couple years, the main problem with submersion cooling is that it inherently cools components that run exceptionally hot, but that don't need to be kept cool, raising the overall temp of the coolant. (Voltage Regulators, and other high current parts)

Without a radiator, that temp is ridiculously high. 80ºC will shorten the life of components. Also, for the price of that set up (about 150) you can do better with a decent computer case and aftermarket heatsink. While "oil cooling" may be a cool experiment, it's impractical in terms of functionality.

Without a radiator, that temp is ridiculously high. 80ºC will shorten the life of components. Also, for the price of that set up (about 150) you can do better with a decent computer case and aftermarket heatsink. While "oil cooling" may be a cool experiment, it's impractical in terms of functionality.
I did not suggest just pouring some oil on it and tossing it in the corner ... You can simply put it (the whole shebang) in a Tank of oil if you don't leave it on 24/7/52. If you spend more, and do more work, you can use it more (and it will look nicer, if that is what you want).

4P_Bulldozer said:

As Peter.Cort already commented (in regards to "water cooling"):
Peter.Cort said:
it takes a decent amount of experience and is fairly expensive.

aspire said:
You have a pretty ridiculous sense of cheap...
Thanks.

A Tupperware Container (or a small Fishtank) can be purchased (even new) for less than the cost of one Waterblock. You can see from the Pics below that spending a lot of money on it is not necessary (unless you want it to look nice), this setup is "a pretty ridiculous sense of cheap".

The "drop it in a bucket of oil System" (which I did not suggest) is the most basic method. It is simple, cheap, and won't leak. If you don't kick the Bucket and leave it on all the time then you'll be OK.

It makes sense to add a Radiator and it may be reasonable to spend a few bucks to make it look nice, but you don't have to.

Buying separate Parts to assemble your own Watercooling System and then plumbing it correctly and stuffing it in a Case is not simple for someone who is new to the idea (as a few other Posters have suggested). Trying to build (or modify) Waterblocks would be impractical for most (but not all) people.

I've seen many Threads where people have built at least a few Watercooling Systems and they still run multiple Processors and Video Cards all through one loop and then post the Temps of the devices (with the last in the loop always being the hottest).

From "Overlord's" comment "building my first computer" I would think he would be better off buying a Computer with Watercooling already installed (for less than $1000) than trying to match the "cooling capacity" with the needs of his System; unless of course he is an expert in Thermodynamics and simply not particualrly knowledgable about Computers in general.

Credit: These Pics are from here: http://www.overclock.net/overclock-...8-oil-cooled-farm-submerged-56k-death-42.html

The Radiator is behind everything but you can view pictures of it in the Thread.

Here is the whole (cheap) setup (and it is not mine).

dscn9962.jpg

If you prefer a warped view of everything here is what a Motherboard looks like under oil:

dscn9963o.jpg

To start with you can't just use any oil, it has to be pure with nothing conductive added in. It's also extremely messy, awkward and impractical. The oil also has to be cooled, as the heat is being transfered from the components to the oil. So a pump, radiator and fans are required, and the oil has to be extremely viscous or the pump will fail prematurely.

Advising this or even defending this idea is extremely foolhardy and inconsiderate. If this was even remotely a good idea it would be in practice in more than just experiments and extreme temperature conditions.

I was in the USAF a few years ago. My speciality was Electronic Warfare, also called Electronic Counter Measures. Basically I worked on Radar Jammers, recievers and transmitters. We did have transmitters that were cooled by being submerged in a silicon based oil, they were also outputting 5000 watts and the heat exchanging system was larger than the transmitters themselves.

If you think this is such a great idea then you need to do it yourself and you need to talk about it in your own thread. Hijacking a thread for your own hair brained idea is also inconsiderate. The original poster hasn't responded to this thread in over a month and yet your still carrying on about what a great idea this is. This thread is CLOSED.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom