cooler, quieter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antimullet

Baseband Member
hey! I built my comp last year, and I've been noticing that it runs warmer than I'd prefer. now, I have a fairly decent case, I'd say, but I know it could be better. here's the link for my case now:

http://www.thermaltake.com/xaserCase/vm3000/vm3000a.htm

I have one main problem: the fans are super loud, even when turned down all the way. I bought some crazy-fast ones, but they also get loud when they're fast, naturally. I think the main problem is that the fans are not simply screwed or secured to the case, but held in by a grille that directs air to them from the direction of the cpu. when air moves quickly over the plastic fins, it's only natural that it'll be too loud. (for an example of the fan enclosures, see the plastic fan enclosure on the swing bar in the pictures)

I was wondering what everyone would suggest for making my computer more efficient in its cooling so that it's not so loud, and if anyone can see from the design of the case if there is anything I should do to work on it. sorry if I'm being ambiguous, too, I can certainly answer any questions necessary. thanks.

you could get a fan controller and just turn down the fans when your not running something demanding and turn them back up when your playing a game or osmething

what kind of fans do you have?

Your not gonna get cooler and quieter on an air cooled setup, not gonna happen. You can pick one or the other, you can get both if you start water cooling, but that has its own draw backs. Theres a reason why we still use air cooling even though water cooling has been around since (at least) the pentium 1 days.

I have two questions, then:
1) did anyone see the plastic container for the fans on the case pics? coz I was wondering if that might be producing a lot of the noise, and I could probably reduce it by cutting some of the fins out. does anyone agree?

and

2) how much could I get a decent water cooling system for? last time I checked, it was quite pricey, and I definitely don't have that kind of money.

for CPU cooling: the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64, the Thermalright XP-120 or a Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu

for fans, Cooler Master make really quiet ones, which also get a descent amount of CFM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom