Cooler for i7 2600k on a P8P67

Status
Not open for further replies.

fairfieldfalconsfan

In Runtime
I just bought an i7 2600k from another member here and I need a cooler for it. It will be installed on a ASUS P8P67 MB and I am using this RAM and this case.

I am not sure if I should go with water now (Corsair H60) or just go with air. These are some of the coolers I was looking at.

Newegg - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus

Newegg - Thermaltake Frio

Newegg - CORSAIR CWCH60 If I go with water cooling. It may be easier to just go with this so then I don't have to worry about it blocking the RAM slots. And the price is around what some of the higher-priced fans are.

Newegg - XIGMATEK Dark Knight

Newegg - CORSAIR CAFA70

I do need to make a decision fast as my other parts are already ordered. I can always put quicker shipping on it. I don't want to have everything but the CPU cooler.

Thanks in advance!

I know the 212+ was a good cooler a couple months back, but I am not sure about how it stacks up now.
I know the H60 is a popular choice, but I believe it is outperformed by higher end air coolers.

The member didn't include the cooler? Because from what I hear the stock is pretty darned good.

The Corsair H60 is just a updated version of the H50, it's not worth the money. Looking at your other choices I would go with the Thermaltake Frio or the Corsair CAFA70.

I would go with the Thermaltake Frio or the Corsair CAFA70.

Will both of these fit in my case with the RAM listed above?

EDIT: Looking at this page: CM Storm » Products: Scout in the FAQ's that the max height is 165 mm for a CPU cooler. The Thermaltake Frio is exactly that height but is skinnier then the CAFA70 even with both fans installed and I may only leave 1 fan on until I overclock. It being skinnier would help with it possibly being over the RAM. The CAFA70 is cheaper but I don't like the looks of it as much.

I may just get one of the stock coolers locally because the rests of my parts should be here by Saturday.

The Thermaltake frio won't have enough clearance over your ram. It will probably cover the first ram slot. However you still can use the other ram slots if you are just running 2 sticks of ram.

With the P8P67 and just 2 sticks of memory the recommended slots to use are the 2nd and 4th slot. Thermalright isn't listing the exact dimension but I think you'll have room to use the 1st slot if you need to, you may need to remove the fan ,install the memory and then re-attach the fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom