Which cooler? AM2/AM2+ Suggestions Welcomed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

95BlackGA

Fully Optimized
Right now, I'm idling at 35*C, and run 46-47*C under full load. I know these numbers are very acceptable, but I've upgraded everything but my HSF on my computer, so why not try to go lower? So far, I've been looking at 3 coolers, but suggestions on others would be greatly appreciated. First option is the Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer (Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler W/TX-2 - CPU Fans & Heatsinks) I have heard great things, have had it recommended by several people. Option 2 is a Cooler Master 120MM Rifle (Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER RR-B20-N620-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks), looks like a great HSF combo, and my buddy actually has this, and can't shut up about it. Last option is the Scythe Mugen (Newegg.com - Scythe MUGEN-2 SCMG-2000 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks). What seems to be a great HSF combo, and relatively the same price as the others, and I wouldn't have to wait for shipping, as a local computer shop has these for a couple dollars more than newegg has them. I'm running an overclocked 4050e, but will be upgrading to either a 245, 940, or 720.

Scythe Mugen, cos it's basically my HS with an extra copper pipe.

I'd go with the Mugen or the CCF. I have the CCF, and it works great. 3.7ghz @ 1.525v 24/7, maxes out at 40c full load. As we speak, it's actually down to 37c.

Thank you both. So far, I've been more inclined to just run down to the PC shop, and pick up the Scythe. Will I see a noticeable drop in temperatures vs. stock? I'm running at 35C now, If I could it get in into high 20's/lower 30's, I would be more than happy with the purchase.

Can't speak for the Scythe, but I can say my temps dropped to a ridiculous amount when I moved from stock to the CCF.

Wow, it's got to be bad air circulation in my case or something. I'm getting 40C idle temps on my 5400+ at like 1.325v 3.2GHz using the CCF.... Somethings definitely not right :( Yay tomorrow I get my fan upgrades and can start working out a solution!

I usually get 28/29C idle on my scythe ninja (the mugen is just a bigger version of the ninja with an extra cooling pipe), sometimes <33 if it's a hot day. Never seen it go above 50 on load. I would quote my voltage and such but I ain't at my comp and I can't remember.
If I went higher than 4GHz on my build, heat would not be an issue.

Wow, it's got to be bad air circulation in my case or something. I'm getting 40C idle temps on my 5400+ at like 1.325v 3.2GHz using the CCF.... Somethings definitely not right :( Yay tomorrow I get my fan upgrades and can start working out a solution!

I have an ambient temperature of 75*F in my house, and I actually lowered my CPU temp by 2*C when I did some crappy wire management. How much thermal paste did you use?

I have same situation as you (75*F house temp). Wires are out of the way, fairly well managed. I even reapplied thermal grease because I was worried I had used too much, and I put just a thin line this time. It lowered temps by about 2-3C but still at 40C idle.

I have same situation as you (75*F house temp). Wires are out of the way, fairly well managed. I even reapplied thermal grease because I was worried I had used too much, and I put just a thin line this time. It lowered temps by about 2-3C but still at 40C idle.

Have you tried taking your side off? I just read quite a few reviews saying people have had temp issues. What voltage is it at? There was a couple people that said they lowered the voltage, but then you would most likely have to lower your OC, but you could get lucky and not have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom