Considering this ... HELP please

Status
Not open for further replies.

2lo

Beta member
Hello all, I'm new to the forum and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for me regarding getting a cheap new pc.

I currently have a OLLLDDDD emachine 366i2 machine. Like I said its old. I had upgraded the memory to the max which is 256. It has a 4g hard drive and cd player in it. I think its time to upgrade. My budget is small... about 550.00 for the whole setup, including monitor. I dont use the computer for much, download music, aol, some school work, and thats about it. I was considering this:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...8&cat=3951&type=19&dept=3944&path=0:3944:3951

Anyone know of a better route?

Thank you all in advance.

TheMajor... I just tried that site. I configured the same setup that Walmart has and it came out to a lil over 600.00 :( Thank you for the suggestion though.

Do you want to build the system or do you want to buy one that is already built?
Because I can get you a good computer that is in your budget if you wanna buy all of the parts separately.
I can even build it for you...

Seria, Id honestly prefer to buy it all ready assembled, just for the main reason of convienance. One big box to unpack, and never a compatibility concern. And most preconfigured computers come w/ a few software programs already installed.

2Lo

2lo said:
TheMajor... I just tried that site. I configured the same setup that Walmart has and it came out to a lil over 600.00 :( Thank you for the suggestion though.
600 bucks and waaay better quality I assume, even with the same specs, you will get a better computer.

pre-built computers aren't great....the BIOS won't allow you any options whatsoever and generally they'll want you to take it to them if you ever want to upgrade it. Those things come with more than just a 'few' programs installed...dude they LOAD those things down with a ton of programs you don't need, that's why its better to just build your own. There's lots of info here and a lot of people willing to help. We will give you straight up links to the products you can buy and that we KNOW will be compatible....unless there's a factor that you don't know enough and want to take the chance of putting it together...the worst part is just hooking the power switch, reset switch, and little things like that to the proper motherboard jumpers...and even that with the manual makes it easy.

BTW: Celeron chips are the low-end of Intels...not meant for doing much, but if you don't use your computer for much anyway then go for it.

Don't get a celeron processor, spring the extra dough and get a pentium 4. You won't regret it.

Celerons are that bad huh? OK, you guys ot me into considering building a new one, cause im sure down the road im going to want it for more then just some music and school work. Ive been looking at nestegg (I think thats the name) and have seen a few things. Im not sure what is a good brand motherboard or power supply, stuff like that. I was trying to configure parts that would come out to about the same price as that walmart one but using a Pentium cpu. Are the Pentium cpu speeds the same as a Celeron speed? And does anyone know if i can get it preloaded w/ Windows XP instead of having to shell out 90 bucks to buy it?

Once again, thank you all for your responses. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom