Confusion with Overclocking! Ram issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

teddyn

Baseband Member
In Need of Guidance! ((Overclocking my CPU+RAM))

Hi everyone,
I'm overclocking for the first time, with the following specs:
Opteron 165
MSI K8N-Neo4 Platinum
2x1gb OCZ PC-3200 RAM, 2.5-3-2-5

I've been skimming through oodles of OC info, and what i did first was to find the CPU max... so i lowered RAM to 100mhz, lowered the LDT multiplier to 3x, and raised the HT speed (default 200 x 9.0) all the way up to 298 on stock voltage where it was stable for a 8 hours torture test on prime95 (both cores).

I think I understand the way CPU OC'ing works now.... but I think I've hit a wall when it comes to understanding how the RAM stuff works. I at least know it was a mistake buying PC3200! Basically, as soon as I raise the RAM above 100MHz (which, when together with 298, should be 149Mhz) to 133MHz (which should still be under 200MHz, the normal speed, right?) and I select save and quit in the Bios, I stop getting a signal and I need to reset the CMOS.... What's up with that? I tried raising the Ram voltage but to no avail.
What are your suggestions, oh most wise Techforumers?
If I should loosen timings, which should I loosen? Also, I think my 'command rate' is at 2T by default... I've heard that it should be at 1T; what of that?

What kind of compromises am I looking at in terms of performance at the moment?
I thirst for info!
Thanks in advance!

hmmm interesting problem. you seem to be doing fairly well for a beginner if i may say so :). seems the LDT bus is ruled out. perhaps if you boosted the ram voltage by 0.1v but before you do that i would like you to provide a link to the exact model of ram if possible, just to get an idea of its tolerance for voltage. try one stick on its own and see how things go. it could be possible that the psu is having trouble :/ unlikely but possible

You shouldn't have to worry about loosening timings or raising vdimm at this point since with those settings still have the RAM below stock speeds.

Either way, I have heard of boards having problems with certain divider settings. For example, 2:1 and 1:1 might work fine, but like in your case 3:2 causes problems.

First thing I would suggest is making sure you have the most up-to-date BIOS for your mobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom