Confusing Overclocking Problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PizzatheHut06

Daemon Poster
Alright I'm pretty new to overclocking on the AMD 64 CPU's, so bear with me. I decided to try and tinker around with the system you see in my sig. I went into BIOS and changed the FSB frequency to 205 MHz, set the memory divider thing on "Auto" and lowered the LDT multiplier from 4x to 3x, as I've read to do. So Windows (XP Pro) booted fine of course, and I immediately opened CPU-Z to see if the changes were read. Sure enough, the CPU speed went from 2.411 GHz to 2.634 GHz. Everything was good so far. Then I went and clicked on the "Mainboard" tab, and nothing was there. I then went and clicked on the "Memory" and "SPD" tabs, and found NOTHING there also. It's like this tiny beginning overclocked screwed up CPU-Z. Then I opened Prime95 and got stability errors after one minute while running the "Large In-Place FFTs" test.

Can anyone help me with this overclocking problem? Thank you in advance.

Sure enough, the CPU speed went from 2.411 GHz to 2.634 GHz.
Ehh....how did you manage to jump 200MHz just from raising the the FSB 5MHz?

All it is, is a case of not having enough voltage....if you had actually read the two stickies that are at the top of these forums for a reason...you wouldn't even have to ask this question.

Not only that, but I'm going to assume with your RAM set to Auto that it's keeping a 1:1 ratio and you're going to need to stabilize your RAM as well as the CPU.

Obviously you've read some if you knew to put the LDT multi down, but considering you said nothing about voltages or seem unaware of reading the voltages it sounds like you need to re-read quite a bit more.

Acording to my math his clock speed should be 2460mhz if hes only using 5mhz more on the bus ....

Please read alot more before trying again.

First, yes, I simply mistyped. The speed was 2.463 GHz.

I've read the stickies, numerous times. I didn't think that the voltage would need to be raised with only a 5 MHz increase. I did a little bit of overclocking on my old Athlon XP, and the VCore didn't need to increase unless the overclock was larger.

So would you recommend adding more RAM voltage, or simply trying VCore first and then adding RAM voltage if necessary?

Thanks for the help, by the way.

i was gonna say lol but i dont think u should have had stability probs already there is something wrong i would put it back to normal maybe flash the bios and then run prime 95 and see if everything is alright. then try overclockin again

charles_scott said:
Have you tryed running prime95 with everything stock?

Yeah, it runs fine w/ everything stock, but small overclocks screw it up. I guess I just won't be able to overclock or something.

Some reason i have problems running at half my over clock but at full overclock i get no errors...... Dont ask why i kept going when i got errors lol

yea man u can definitly overclock dont worry about that. we just gotta find out how. soo like charles said i would keep going i would go straight to 215 and raise the voltage 1 or 2 increments, and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom