computer speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norcent

Banned
So my one computer speaker is shot so i only have 1 and it sounds weird.

Does it matter what size speaker i replace the broken one with?

I was going to use an alarm clock speaker which is almost the same size but the rim thingy makes the speaker look twice the size as i have now.

Nothing bad will happen right?

You mean the case speaker? If so, check that the electrical specs are similar (voltage and wattage, mainly).

It may be possible to buy a replacement, tho, so look around. Something like this.

Edit: Uhm, on second thought, I think you're talking about regular desktop speakers. Unless the replacement you're considering has the same electrical specs, I don't think it'll work.

Well, unless the part you're gonna swap out has the same electrical specs as the original one, it probably won't work. Speakers have very specific electronics.

Either take the speaker to a professional repair shop, or just buy a new pair of speakers.

It will work just check the ohms should both be 8 ohms, if not it doesnt matter it will work. just listen the only negative effect it will have is sound quality if its not compatible it will produce crappy sound.

Even a 16 ohm paired with a 4 or 8 will work, albeit at a different sound pressure level. Watch the polarity also, or you wll have a reverse-wired pair where one speaker negates the other-...and sounds "tinny". Both need to move in same direction with each signal. One way to check the polarity if the wire markings are not legible is momentarily using a small battery to cause the speaker to "pulse" in or out. make sure they move the same way when wired with the battery+ post on same lead of the 2 separate speakers. Disconnect both from pc first though..

why dont you just buy a new pair of speakers? a new pair should cost under 10$. but if you really wanted to replace the speaker it should not be that hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom