Computer skips like a scratched CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
003 said:
Try running memtest and prime95 and post your results.

I don't know what these numbers mean but here ya go...

Prime95 Benchmark:
Timing 59 iterations at 512K FFT length. Best time: 20.275 ms.
47 - 640K - 26.282
39 - 768K - 31.977
34 - 896K - 38.311
29 - 1024K - 42.497
23 - 1280K - 54.141
19 - 1536K - 66.162
17 - 1792K - 80.070
14 - 2048K - 89.505
11 - 2560K - 121.489
10 - 3072K - 148.132
10 - 3584K - 178.512
`0 - 4096K - 199.561
Timing trial factoring of M35000011 with 58 bit length factors. Best time: 5.000 ms.
59 bit - 5.007
60 bit - 4.999
61 bit - 5.008
62 bit - 8.989
63 bit - 9.015
64 bit - 11.630
65 bit - 11.599
66 bit - 11.559
67 bit - 11.531

I suppose that might be the case, but you could open up CPU-Z and click the memory tab and it'll tell you whether it's running dual or single channel.

the prime95 benchmark isn't what you need to run, you need to run the torture test, specifically the large in place FFT's one...your computer should be able to do that for 24 hours without crashing if it's completely stable, 12 hours should suffice though, it's generally what I run

Nubius said:
you musta had that original one slightly overclocked if it read it as PC3300

does that mean that I'm not really running DUAL right now since it didn't report that I am and last time it did?

Here is what my memort slots look like on my mobo, the instuctions were confusing as heck as to the correct slots to place dual memory, and so I called the comp store and the guy said put em in the same color slots... just checking to see if that is the correct way to do it, they are both in the same colored slots next to eachother (the purple ones). That may have no effect on it but I was just wondering.

http://www.geocities.com/snowpunk857/mobo.JPG

You guys 100% sure it's just not overheating? I get that exact same error when my cpu runs 62C for a few min...... It just can't handle that temp. :(

charles_scott said:
You guys 100% sure it's just not overheating? I get that exact same error when my cpu runs 62C for a few min...... It just can't handle that temp. :(

Even at max load my CPU has never gone over 102*F (that's like less than 40*C I think). Every other part of my computer floats between 65-95*F (except for my GPU but that is okay). I am pretty sure that heat is not the problem.

does that mean that I'm not really running DUAL right now since it didn't report that I am and last time it did?

you could open up CPU-Z and click the memory tab and it'll tell you whether it's running dual or single channel.

Okay, I did that, and coincidentally I had saved a screen shot from my last setup. The previous shows in CPUz that I'm running dual and this one shows I'm running single, does that mean I have them in the wrong slots and could that be the answer to my problem???

if CPU-Z says it's running in single channel then it's definitely in the wrong slots...that pic you posted with the mobo slots tells me nothing.

Some motherboards tell you to put it in the same color slots like on my DFI board, same color = dual channel, but the same color spots aren't next to each other....for me the same color is slots 1 & 3 not 1 & 2 like yours...on the MSI boards however, purple = channel A and blue I think it is = channel B so you'd want one stick in each color which coincidentally still winds up being slots 1 & 3....you'd have to check with your motherboard but considering you said you have it it in the same color slots right now then you should just move the one in slot 2 up to slot 3 so they are exactly one space apart.

You know what, I feel like an idiot, I posted the picture of my old motherboard. Anyways, I went with my gut, and against the advising of the dumbass at the computer store, and put it in the slots I thought it should be in... and... wallaa... CPUz says I'm in dual mode now. However... my skipping problem has not been fixed yet.

You know, I think what I'm going to have to do is probably just fork over the cash for some good memory to see if that's what it is. It's really annoying me that I just dropped all this dough on the sickest video card out there, and I can't enjoy it to it's full potential. Now that I think about it, this problem only started happening after I got the video card. Maybe it is a problem with the rails as you have said and my PSU can't handle what my system and this card needs.

The skipping happens like clockwork, almost to the exact second when it happens. It is methodical. Probably every minute and a half. Would that help figure out if it is memory or PSU?

well the mistake the dude at the computer store did is assume all mobos are the same...some of them infact utilize dual channel by the same color...my old socket A mobo did as well as the nf4 MSI boards.

As far as the skipping problem, I wonder if your hard drive is going bad....do you hear any clicking when it does that skipping? I remember I had that with a HD and I RMA'd it and the new one doesn't do that.

However if you say it's when you put in your new vid card, then you should put in your old card and see if the skipping goes away.....if it does then I suppose you could assume that the rails aren't stable enough from your PSU.

Of course the best way to check the rails would be if you could somehow get a multimeter and test the 12+ rail yourself which would be the yellow wire on your PSU's molex connector if I'm not mistaken and the ground from a multimeter would go to something metal or in either black wire.

I honestly wouldn't think the memory would cause weird skipping, especially if you've used it before the card.

You gotta consider that new card is a power hog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom