Computer skips like a scratched CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
You might be getting a bad BIOS or a dying CMOS battery...a BIOS flash might solve this

I personally think it's a PSU issue here...you have an Ultra PSU which is already bad quality and suffers from added resistance of being modular...add that to the fact you're running a GTX and trying to overclock it's not a good combination...best bet would be to bust out a multimeter and test under load...if they exceed +/-5% they're in bad shape

Might also be not enough amps coming off your 12v rail...I'm not really familiar with Ultra specs

Nubius, do you work for tech forums or are you just incredibly helpful and all over the place?
now THATS a rare comment :p

nah gaara doesn't have any problems with me (OH HE BETTER NOT) and nor do I, but a majority of the members do :p

At around 5 or 6,000 posts I stopped being helpful and became more of a sarcastic asshole mainly because theres a lot of ignorant smart ass know-it all kids around here...

Buuuut every once in a blue moon I still come around and do something helpful in hardware

well i guess i could consider my younge to im only 15.|
and nubius knows it all, literaly a smart ass mofo lol
but ****. yea most of the time that blue screen is a memory problem tho.

and dudes i got this sick ass 17in hp monitor its sweet, i got dual screens running! i got so much desktop space.

Okay what do you make of this... I ran Everest to get a memory benchmark and compared it to a benchmark I did about a month ago with the same memory but with the old motherboard.

Memory Read Speed: 3 weeks ago - 5617 Mb/s, now - 2899 Mb/s
Memory Write Speed: 3 weeks ago - 1720 Mb/s, now - 1041 Mb/s
Memory Latency: 3 weeks ago - 50.9 ns, now - 52.0 ns (2.5-3-3-7)

That is with the exact same OC settings just different motherboard (Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939). Does the decrease in those benchmarks solidify all of your opinions on it being the memory?

most of the time that blue screen is a memory problem tho
I know I'm just saying that one of a few different causes will yeild the same effect but you necessarily know exactly what problem causes a BSOD at windows start up compared to a BSOD that happens hours later.

Snowpunk - weird...only thing I'd think of is perhaps if you weren't running dual channel but I honestly wouldn't think it'd make a difference like that.

Nubius said:
Snowpunk - weird...only thing I'd think of is perhaps if you weren't running dual channel but I honestly wouldn't think it'd make a difference like that.

Funny you mention that. I just looked closer into my reports from Everest and last time in the benchmarking it said I was running "Dual PC3300 DDR" and this time running "PC3200 DDR SDRAM". And I didn't accidentally type a 3 instead of a 2 in 3300. Same memory, different mobo, and that is what it tells me.

snowpunk said:
Side note to add to what you guys are talking about right there... the blue screen appears during the windows loading screen with the scrolling blue bar (green for SP1). Once or twice it has shown it's ugly, nasty, blue face after windows has loaded.
Hmm I've had that exact problem with the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL bsod on the boot screen, for me it meant more voltage to the CPU. It could also be your RAM. If you have value ram and you have not set a divider and/or loosened the timings, then it is probably your RAM. Try running memtest and prime95 and post your results.

Funny you mention that. I just looked closer into my reports from Everest and last time in the benchmarking it said I was running "Dual PC3300 DDR" and this time running "PC3200 DDR SDRAM".
you musta had that original one slightly overclocked if it read it as PC3300

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom