The Computer Power Button

Status
Not open for further replies.

bencho

Solid State Member
Hi,

I am interested in a remote/wireless solution for turning on a computer from a distance. Im running MCE 2005 and I know the remote can turn off the computer, but not on. So what exactly does the power button on a computer do? Does it bridge the circuit and send a signal to the mobo to turn on the computer? Cause i was thinking maybe a small drawbridge typed motor that would move a bar down, complete the circuit and then flip back up...

If anyone can point me to links about how i can accomplish this, itd be great. thanks!

benCho--

The power button does just exactly as you said. It has two wires connected to the motherboard. When you push it, it briefly connects the circuit between those two wires and turns the computer on. You could do the same with a screwdriver by just touching the two wires together.

there are better ways to do this. all you need as a remote transmitter and receiver, one like a wireless doorbell can do the trick. if you can find a wireless door bell that can play a single "ding" as the door ring. with a few modifications you can use the speaker as a signal wired parallel to the power switch and the single ding will simulate the button being pressed. i'll see if i can dig up a tutorial i saw a while ago. while written for an xbox the principles are similar.

!

wow, that is a good idea... in parallel, then id still retain usage of the regular button. hmmm
thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom