computer motherboard beeping

Status
Not open for further replies.

uncpokernut

Beta member
Question to try the brains - When i boot the computer (it is new i'm trying to install an OS) i get a continual beeping sound ... no pauses or anything. First thought memory but it's not that... i'm getting to the install screen though when i pop in the cd... any thoughts? Any help appreciated... it's been suggested that it's the cpu overheating warning, but i've got a cpu fan why would it overheat? Do i need to get something else or is the fan deffective?

maybe its something in the bios, like the motherboard doesnt think that there is a CPU fan installed, and is telling you to turn off your computer. if you bought the motherboard new and retail not OEM, it should come with a manual, with all the beep codes for reference.

Award BIOS

1x shot no error
1x long memory not seated correctly
2x shot minor error/F1
1xlong 2xshort error videocard
1xlong 3xshort error kyboard
Continual=no memory or video found

but i've got a cpu fan why would it overheat?
thats a naive thought if you think that it can't POSSIBLE have overheated just cause you got that on. Possibly you seated your heatsink wrong and/or applied the thermal compound wrong.

According to majors findings your memory also might not be in their slots right....also goes with your video card...make sure everything is snugly in their slots...if that still doesn't work...reseat your heatsink...don't put grease on a thermal pad and make sure you put on a THIN layer on the core...you don't want the compound to be spread over the pins near the core because it can cause problems.

ok here's whats happening so far

Ok the beep is continuous.. but not just one continual beep it is one underlying continually beep with short beeps ontop of that... i know the memory and other pci cards are seated correctly.. so now i'm just stumped... not sure what the whole deal is the heat sink fan.. i know the cpu is on correctly, and it has a metal square on the outside which i put the thermal paste on and then seated the fan right ontop.. not sure how i could have messed this up... please help!

i know the cpu is on correctly, and it has a metal square on the outside which i put the thermal paste on and then seated the fan right ontop.. not sure how i could have messed this up

Again another naive thought if you think just cause you know the basics of it 'how could I mess it up!' Its a suggestion to try, especially if you're already stumped.... was it a stock heatsink and fan you replaced or did you reapply the stock fan? If its a stock fan it coulda had a pad on it...and if it has a pad on it then you are NOT supposed to put grease on the CPU....that could cause your CPU to overheat and not function properly...that and like I said it could get over your connectors near the core and again cause instability. If you're stumped, I'd suggest you try it....upon seating it you could have also cracked the core..you never know. If you're so absolutely sure that you've checked everything then you need to check your CPU again and try it in another computer if you can. If you can't then something in there is fried.

i dunno if this will work but try this :

go to the start menu and then run and type regedit

then go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER / CONTROL PANNELS / SOUND

and then once your in the sound folder double click on beep registry and in the value field type no instead of yes.

when my computer sometimes randomly started beeping i did thoose steps and it went away. Even tho your situation is a little different might still work. hope this helps

I doubt that refers to the start up beeps, though, renegade. And I don't think he can get to windows, either, from wat he said... "i'm getting to the install screen though when i pop in the cd"

My opinion, don't touch that computer again and drag it over to some guy with more experience. you describing it to us is not working right now.

Good luck, kiddo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom