Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Radeon 9600 XT

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

umybiatch2k6

In Runtime
I just recently started building myself a system. It was my first one, and i probablly chose some wrong stuff, but oh well... here is my system config:

P4 2.8GHz at 533MHz FSB w/ 512 KB cache
512MB DDR PC2700 RAM
160GB 7200RPM WD hardrive w/ 8.9ms seektime
Soyo Dragon ATX Case
P4X400 Platinum Soyo Dragon Motherboard (garbage if you ask me)
128MB AGP GeForce PNY nVidia video card
400W neon lighted Power Supply

Now the case came with the mobo and the power supply, cuz i bought it cheap (100 bucks plus s&h and taxes). And the case has no manual watsoever. It came with a manual for the motherboard, but 1. i doubt it has the info i need and 2. i'm too lazy to look it up. So I ask you for your help

This case has a clear side panel w/ a 90mm fan in it. It's one of them screwless mounts. Anyways, when it came to putting all the pieces together, all I could figure out I should do was plug one of the power supplies to the fan ending (which has two ends to it, one that fit the power supply output and one that was just weird, and I know you know better than me wat that is). Now, after I got the damn thing to work (it took me about half an hour of sweating nails in the belief that i fried something before i realized the powerswitch (up front) was not connected to the motherboard) the fan worked right, pulling the air in, and all of that.

Now the problem that arose is that it's WAY too loud. Now i dunno if it's the mount or wat, but I was wondering if it is possible to control it through the motherboard. I know it has a couple of pin connectors for "chafan1" and "chafan2" which i can only guess is the say to control/monitor them.

Now since this computer was built on a budget (from 770 bucks coming out of my pocket, 230 coming back (hopefully) in rebates, and another 110 w/ gift cards, reward zone, and shiznit like that; i should go down to $432) (by the way, tell me if it's a good deal or not plz) yeah, so I don't really wanna put in anything else unless strictly needed. (to solve this problem) (i'd probably agree to another fan, but not a control panel, one of those bay installs, as long as it's over ~$35

so if i wasn't clear enough here's the message:

i want to control the speed of the case fan so it isn't this loud. preferably through the motherboard (cuz i'm a cheapo)

Thanks you once again :D hope I hear back from you guys.

I would look in your manual(download it) for the option to control fan voltage if its available.If you lower the voltage the slower the fans will spin the less noise they will make.I purchased 2 Enermax 120 mm fans that have the voltage control dial built into them , they were like $15 a piece.

the one thing you could have done better on is the speed of the memory. you would have been much better of with pc3200.

well im gonna sound like a asshole but i dont want to... but uh yea. You should of gotten a ATI. the games out now have directX 9.0 and stuff. ATI cards do better then nvidia cards.

Monster00 said:
well im gonna sound like a asshole but i dont want to... but uh yea. You should of gotten a ATI. the games out now have directX 9.0 and stuff. ATI cards do better then nvidia cards.

you know, i was thinking about getting the ati radeon 9200 for the same price i got the nvidia, 70+tax, but I just mailed the rebates yesterday w/ the proof of purchase and shit one them... so no dice.. I asked a couple of my friends and for some reason the ones taht were more "computer oriented" :)cough GEEKS cough:) told me to hold on to the nVidia... dunno why...

If you know best buy would accept it w/ the proof of purchase and if they can cancel the rebate, plz tell me :-D

Soloman02 said:
the one thing you could have done better on is the speed of the memory. you would have been much better of with pc3200.

well yeah, no shit, pc3200 would have worked better, but remeber, this was a budget build... and i got the 512 stick for like 67 bucks... so, iunno ;)

Cappy said:
I would look in your manual(download it) for the option to control fan voltage if its available.If you lower the voltage the slower the fans will spin the less noise they will make.I purchased 2 Enermax 120 mm fans that have the voltage control dial built into them , they were like $15 a piece.

I found the manual online here, in .pdf form... dunno how the hell to get anything of the damn thing, but maybe one of you great ppl can.
The question is not only how you control the voltage, but also how to connect the fan to the mobo (cuz it doens't have the 2/3 pin connector. I'll put up a picture of the wires in like 10 minutes.

now, the problem w/ the Enermax 120mm fans, which would be a great deal for me, is twofold. to start with, the support for the fan is only for 90mm fans; the second is that i can't get anything w/ a grill (or I can take it off later) because of the ever so gay design of the case. i'm attaching a pic. You'll understand y there.

But if there's any other fan out there that's 90mm w/ controls built in (even though I dont' see how i could access the controls), plz tell me.

THanks a bunch one again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom