Computer Building - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 01:28 AM   #11 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via AIM to rollincatera Send a message via Yahoo to rollincatera

order from newegg.

go with a pentium system, you can get setup fairly cheap for what your looking to do. if you want to save money, go for a 2.8HT processor...

if your lookin to run the processor for quite sometime before upgrading again, go at least 3.4HT.

512mb minimum memory..shouldnt need much more, but for the price, go for a gig of ram...this will insure a lag free experience when you've got those large files open.

Old 01-24-2005, 01:33 AM   #12 (permalink)
True Techie

order from newegg.

go with a pentium system, you can get setup fairly cheap for what your looking to do. if you want to save money, go for a 2.8HT processor...

if your lookin to run the processor for quite sometime before upgrading again, go at least 3.4HT. if you go with a pentium processor, go LGA775...nothing else. AMD may run games "better" but you wont see any difference. go pentium!!

512mb minimum memory..shouldnt need much more, but for the price, go for a gig of ram...this will insure a lag free experience when you've got those large files open.

Old 01-24-2005, 01:45 AM   #13 (permalink)
True Techie

order from newegg.

if your lookin to run the processor for quite sometime before upgrading again, go at least 3.4HT. if you go with a pentium processor, go LGA775...nothing else. AMD may run games "better" but you wont see any difference. go pentium!!

Old 01-24-2005, 05:55 AM   #14 (permalink)
True Techie

yea i agree, order from newegg
the only exception is if your are like me and live in alaska or hawaii where zipzoomfly.com has free 2nd Day shipping on most of thier lighter products, which in turn save me a ton of cash.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
True Techie

I will definately get the gig of ram. I was wondering if I should get more.
My laptop (only thing I have that works right now) has 1 gig ram with the 3.2 ghz Intel pent 4 processor. I was wanting something around its performance or might upgrade now on ram if I would see a difference.

Most of the time it really moves, but occasionally when several of the programs I have running are very large ones, like 40 - 60mb access files along with some word, and many internet pages, the machine definately bogs down a little. Is ram the 1 thing that would improve this or is it a combination of things?
I'm not going to change anything on the laptop, but I might invest into more ram when I place the order for the new desktop.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:19 PM   #16 (permalink)
Super Techie

i fyou have 30 windows up of internet just use mozzilla firefox where you can have tabs so you have 1 window up but you can have 30 windows within it.

www.mozilla.com

i know this doesnt help him but i know how annoying it is to have a ton of windows up
Old 01-24-2005, 08:45 PM   #17 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Big multitasking will require a big cache, so Intel is by far the better way to go here. Most of his money should go into proccesor, memory and motherboard. I don't think a video is big issue here if he isn't a big gamer, something as low as a 9600 Pro could even work for him, and allow him to put more money into more important parts.
eVGA 8800GTS 320MB / eVGA 6800GS 256MB
150GB Raptor / 74GB Raptor
2x500GB / 320GB
OCZ GameXStreme 850w / OCZ StealthXStream 600w
Old 01-24-2005, 11:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
True Techie

After pricing out all of the following on newegg, it came out just under $1100, which seems like a reasonable amount, especially compared to what I just spent 6 months ago on this laptop.

As far as the comment goes about dumping all I could in memory, processor and mobo, would that suggest that I might consider going with something even better than the previously stated equipment, or were you suggesting that if I needed to cut the cost down, to do so at the expense of the video card as opposed to the processor & mobo?
Old 01-24-2005, 11:08 PM   #19 (permalink)
True Techie

Oh and for the mozilla, am I missing something about it? I am using it right now and it seems to be exactly like my explorer minus my favorites. All the pages are still down in my toolbar.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:38 PM   #20 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Press Ctrl+T while in Mozilla, I think you may be pleasantly suprised. :P

I basically meant that you should put the majority of your money into the proccesor, motherboard and memory first, and once you are satisfied with that, use the remainder of your budget on your other parts.

You also put the most money into the parts most critical to the performance you need, and I think it would make more sense to put more money into the proccesor etc. first, and then worry about the video card afterwards.

eVGA 8800GTS 320MB / eVGA 6800GS 256MB
150GB Raptor / 74GB Raptor
2x500GB / 320GB
OCZ GameXStreme 850w / OCZ StealthXStream 600w
Closed Thread