Computer Build - PC Crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

theatretony

Beta member
Hi all, hope you can help...

I have just installed a new m/b - ASUS a7v8x-x. I am having trouble upgrading the bios using aflash and ez-bios update - does not seem to like the filename.

Also, when the PC is switched on, it starts booting into windows then it will reboot itself and try again. I did not re-install Windows XP it recognised the OS straight away...

Any ideas?

Welcome to TF!!

First, don't update the bios unless it's critical.. if there's no major update or nothing you need, do not update.

More than likely it's that the chipset of your older mobo was different than your new one, which will cause the os not to function properly. I don't know the legistics of it, but you might have to format.

Thanks for the advice. I do need to update the BIOS as the CPU I have in it is a 2200 Sempron and at the moment is only reading it as an 1800

Was hoping I wouldn't have to re-install XP !!!

Although, when I switched the computer on this morning, it all worked fine and as it booted up the message 'Windows has recovered from a serious error' (or words to that effect) came up on the screen

hmm.. may have some corrupt files or something.. anywho, have you already looked in the bios to change the settings on your cpu? I highly doubt that board isn't able to see your chip correctly, i had the deluxe and it was reading up to 3200xp chips

Looking in the BIOS it will only recognise up to 1800.

Well, I thought I was doing well, thought I had got through it all with no problems!!!

Will try another bios update tonight (it is 10.30am, so at work at the moment)

I may put a spare 10Gb drive in there and use it as a master and keep my 80Gb as a slave, so I do not lose lots of information.

Thanks for the advice.... will let you know how it all goes.

I hope I can help some people on here.... I work in IT myself but as a Software Support Consultant !! So hardware is not my forte !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom