Completely stumped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bohica

Beta member
Hello everyone! i have an odd problem that i have been trying to figure out for a month straight. My system

p4 2.8c 800 fsb
asus p4p800 deluxe
2: 256 corsair xms 3200
powercolor readon 9800 pro 128
soundblaster audigy 2 platnium
maxtor 120g 8mb cache
Windows xp

i thought that i would get very good performance and finnally get the computer i've always wanted. But it doesnt seem to be putting out as much as it should. In 3dmark03 im getting 5607, which seems ubsurdly low, and in ut 2003 benchmarks, flyby:208 botmatch:66. In most of my games i get constant studders, no matter what the settings, i am completely stumped. i have fooled around with over clocking(runing my cpu at 3.08 right now) i have messed with ddr timings in the bios. i have messed with xp all that i could to my knowledge, pagefile, system cache, ect. i would apreciate any help or ideas you guys can come up with. THANX IN ADVANCE!

maybe you are not getting enough power. what is the power supply? you need a hefty one at least 450watt with that monster video card. don't get the cheap 450watts like allied brands, they are rebadged deer POS.

oh my god..... i always thought i had a 450watt, but until you mentioned that, i just checked, im only running with 320. thank you very much man. now that i think about it that has been my prob since my first p4.

still running slow

well i was going to get a new power supply, but i was looking around new egg and just bought a thermaltake case(bad ass case but very heavy and big) with a 420watt powersupply. i hooked it all up and got it running and i have no change at all. could it be because i didnt reinstall xp? I dont have service pack one installed could that make a difference? i have updated all my driver to the latest ones. any advice will be apreciated

yes it could, If I where you I would re-install xp and put the latest drivers on.
5607 isn't that bad on 3dMark2003 (make sure you have the latest build) i'm not sure about the ut stuff cause I havnt ever run that benchmark.
What temp is your cpu at? If it gets too hot it will slow down so check temp and correct fitting of heatsink / fan.

no go

i have reinstalled and still have not seen any difference. i have now it has to do with my cpu, i get the same problems in my games no matter what the graphical or sound settings are at. could it be the fact that i dont have service pack 1 installed. you see i can not install it unless i use atomatic updates, and i only have crappy aol dialup.(my xp is one that you dont have to register online, so when i try to run the service pack 1 offline installation it tells me that my registration key is not valid. witch sucks.

http://www20.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040201/prescott-13.html

Your 3d mark 03 score isnt really that bad but i would think you should be rock solid in any game.When you install your ATI drivers.You use all of them not a custom install and have the updated drivers from ATI and Directx9b.

You really should get Sp1 it suport's large hard drives among some other thing's.Youll just get a number to call.They just ask you why you need to reregister. Say you had a virus and had to reinstall or you got a new computer.

http://www.firegl.com/support/driver.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom