Completely confused

Brids17

Baseband Member
So I've been meaning to overclock for a while now but after reading various guides and watching numerous videos and I honestly say I'm totally and utterly confused as to what to do. On the bright side at least, I haven't attempted to do it anyway and fried my processor. =D

I know this forum is probably utterly crammed with people asking for people to tell them exactly what to do, which makes me feel bad about doing exactly that but I really don't know what else to do.

Anway, so I've got an 15 760 2.8ghz quad core and I'm hoping to get it somewhere around 3.2-3.6. I've got a cooler master hyper 212 evo, I'm running windows 7 64 bit and I've got a ASUS P7P55D-E LX mobo. I do know how to get into bios I just don't understand what I'm suppose to do from there. I also don't know how high I can overclock with my current cooler. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I haven't done an i5, but my i7/xeon system running hyer 212+s is running nearly a 1Ghz overclock.

To overclock, your just going to have to bump up your bclk abit(100mhz) run a tester and if it passes then bump the bclk again. When it doesn't pass you bump your vcore a bit.

I think PMcguire might have a guide that's easy to follow

Brids17 said:
On the bright side at least, I haven't attempted to do it anyway and fried my processor. =D
The first time I skimmed over that, I thought you said you DID fry your processor lol.

The first choice in your Ai Tweaker menu is "CPU Level UP" which by default is set to "Auto". It has other options depending on your processor model.

But those are preset settings for specific frequencies. If you want your processor at 3.2GHz, choose the one that corresponds and so on. It will auto select your settings for you. I would set it the lowest setting first and monitor your computer stability before going any higher, more importantly keep an eye on your temps.

Last edited:
What speed of RAM do you have? If you are running 1600 tell it to use the XMP profile and that will set your BCLK to 160. The XMP will reduce the CPU multi to compensate, and all you need to do is raise it back up. Leave voltages on auto and test with Prime95 and watch temps with Coretemp.

I'm sitting at 3.2 on stock voltages myself from doing this exact same thing. Yours will most likely be 3.3 due to your CPUs stock multiplier.

For the rest, simply Googling for your motherboard would bring up the site where you can download the manual if you don't already have it. That tells you how to get into your bios.
P7P55D-E LX - Motherboards - ASUS

To enter into your bios when your computer first turns on press the delete key until you get in the bios. From there, all the things I mentioned before will be under AI Tweaker.

You can try the CPU Level up, as that may be an easy solution. If that doesn't work, let me know.

Now as a disclaimer, and not trying to be rude, if you can't understand what I'm posting here and Googling doesn't really help then you probably shouldn't be messing with this stuff. To continue further, overclocking these chips don't really help in gaming if that's your aim.

To continue further, overclocking these chips don't really help in gaming if that's your aim.

Why wouldn't it help? That is my reason for wanting to overclock. Specifically for planetside 2, as I get absolutely awful frames when playing during large battles.

Why wouldn't it help? That is my reason for wanting to overclock. Specifically for planetside 2, as I get absolutely awful frames when playing during large battles.

PP and others knoow their stuff, and PP has made a stickie'd thread of vast awesome information about gaming regarding CPU's.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/your-cpu-modern-games-guide-those-building-261626/

recommend taking a look. It is long and spread over multiple posts (if I remember correctly) but he explains it very well.

but the short version, games are more dependent on GPU.

I did a comparison for another member on that very game with my CPU. The max frames I got was 5FPS in a bump from 2.66 to 4.2GHz. I'm afraid the CPU isn't your limiting factor here. What's your GPU?

I did a comparison for another member on that very game with my CPU. The max frames I got was 5FPS in a bump from 2.66 to 4.2GHz. I'm afraid the CPU isn't your limiting factor here. What's your GPU?

Radeon HD 7850 2gb.

Back
Top Bottom