Comp Building 101 :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

bige14

Solid State Member
Hi I never built a computer before but have some general knowledge and with the help of the forum i should be able to manage. My friend asked me to build him a computer p4 w/ hyper threading and he's willing to spend about 600-700 can you guys recommend me some good mobo's, memory 512mb, hd, most likely it will be a p4 3.0 w/ ht. I will check newegg and post up some things and if you can let me know if there a good deal.

How about you type in the forum the prices of everything along with model numbers, so we don't have to sit looking at websites =p. Then I'm sure we'll help you.

processor: p4 3.0 800mHz fsb 1mb l2cache newegg > $222

mobo: ASUS 875P Chipset P4C800-E DELUXE newegg > $99

memory (2x256): Crucial 256MB DDR PC-3200 newegg > $110

case: ASPIRE X-Alien w/ 420W Power Supply newegg > $76

hd: SAMSUNG 80GB 7200RPM SATA 8mb buffer newegg > $78.5

vid card: ATI Radeon 9600XT 128MB agp 8x ebay > $65

sound card: Creative Lab LIVE 5.1 DIGITAL ebay > $21

If you guys can let me know if this is good and if you can find cheaper prices than the ones i got would be really helpfull thanks case isnt of that much importance a cheaper one would be good too and same with vid card

ebay prices change, so it may not be good to give out those. Is your friend hell bent on using a p4, because it will probably be cheaper to go w/ an Athlon system. *Alll prices given based on newegg*

$74 Case

$33 52x32x52 CD-RW

$73 80GB SATA Western Digital

$110 2x 256 MB Crucial Memory

$154 Sapphire 9600XT

$80 Athlon 2500+ Barton

$104 Gigabyte Nforce2 ULTRA mobo

$42 Audigy ES
-------------------------
Total : 670 (leaves room for about 15 dollars worth of shipping)

If you save a little on some other components, you can get a DVD-RW from liteon :) ...
ex: get a 9600 pro instead of 9600xt.

Athlons are cheaper, but to get better speed than an Intel you need a 64 bit system, and that hurts your wallet.

actually the Athlons are faster for the price, and Intel only is faster when you compare similar processors.
The only people that should be comparing similar processors from both manufacturers are those debating between fx line and ee line.

Ya but up the athlon line it just STOPS at the 2ghz line, because amd isn't really focused much attention on its old 32bit line.

Whats the point if the 64 bit windows is still in it's beta?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom