CMOS checksum error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dimwit100

Solid State Member
Hope someone can help.I got a second hand motherboard off ebay when it boots it shows CMOS checksum error and I have to press F1 to continue. I believe this error is caused by the loss of the bios settings and the default settings are loaded. I know the common cause is a low battery but have tried several and cleaned the battery terminals all the same. If I change anything in the setup it will reboot again ok within a short while but anything longer than 5 minutes and the error is back again. Has the board itself had it?

hmmm sounds similar to a problem I had once.....I had to use the CMOS jumpers everytime I wanted to start my computer otherwise it simply wouldn't boot up period. You're right to assume the low battery but if you've switched them out then I guess it's not that. I think what happened in my case was that the little thing holding the battery broke or something to that effect and wasn't properly holding in the battery. It sounds like for whatever reason your BIOS can't retain the information and settings you put in it....besides the battery being low ( which you've already checked ) I don't know why else it wouldn't retain that info. I could never get my board resolved of that problem and just had to get a new one. It may infact be that the board has just had it cause I think that's what happened to mine.

I'd wait for a couple more opinions though ;)

common cause of that error reading is because it's a mobo with new hardware in it, and it wants you to detect what you have, press DEL and get into your bios and fix it all up

Thanks for the replies. Have tried going into the bios and setting everthing up but it does not retain the information next time I boot the error message is back. I am going to try relacing everthing possible CPU, RAM, drives even cables. Let you know if anything chages

I guess u have checked this up ... but in any case just in case you have over looked.

Check if the CMOS clear jumper is in it's right position.
Also ... have you tried flashing the BIOS?

maybe the bios is corrupt, try installing another version or another copy of it onto your computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom