CMOS checksum error - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 04:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default CMOS checksum error

Hope someone can help.I got a second hand motherboard off ebay when it boots it shows CMOS checksum error and I have to press F1 to continue. I believe this error is caused by the loss of the bios settings and the default settings are loaded. I know the common cause is a low battery but have tried several and cleaned the battery terminals all the same. If I change anything in the setup it will reboot again ok within a short while but anything longer than 5 minutes and the error is back again. Has the board itself had it?

Old 09-22-2004, 06:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

hmmm sounds similar to a problem I had once.....I had to use the CMOS jumpers everytime I wanted to start my computer otherwise it simply wouldn't boot up period. You're right to assume the low battery but if you've switched them out then I guess it's not that. I think what happened in my case was that the little thing holding the battery broke or something to that effect and wasn't properly holding in the battery. It sounds like for whatever reason your BIOS can't retain the information and settings you put in it....besides the battery being low ( which you've already checked ) I don't know why else it wouldn't retain that info. I could never get my board resolved of that problem and just had to get a new one. It may infact be that the board has just had it cause I think that's what happened to mine.

I'd wait for a couple more opinions though

Old 09-22-2004, 08:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via ICQ to Demalii Send a message via AIM to Demalii Send a message via Yahoo to Demalii

common cause of that error reading is because it's a mobo with new hardware in it, and it wants you to detect what you have, press DEL and get into your bios and fix it all up
Old 09-23-2004, 01:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for the replies. Have tried going into the bios and setting everthing up but it does not retain the information next time I boot the error message is back. I am going to try relacing everthing possible CPU, RAM, drives even cables. Let you know if anything chages
Old 09-23-2004, 01:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

I guess u have checked this up ... but in any case just in case you have over looked.

Check if the CMOS clear jumper is in it's right position.
Also ... have you tried flashing the BIOS?

AMD AthlonXP3000+@ 2.2GHz, Cooler Master Aero 7+, Gigabyte 7NNXP , 1GB Kingston HyperX PC3200 Dual Channel , MSI FX5600 VTDR 256 ,Pinnacle PCTV , 120+120GB Barracuda , Liteon 52x CDRW , Samsung DVDROM , Benq DW1620 16x DVD ReWriter, Phillips 21\" TV,Samsung Syncmaster 763MB,Logitech Cordless MX DUO , Thermaltake Silent PurePower 480W Butterfly Series PSU, Win XP SP2,RH9.
Creative DDTS100 Decoder, Creative Inspire TD7700 7.1 Speakers

Search TF B4 u post { Thanks for this one! Emily :) }
<form action=\"http://www.theriddlehouse.com/random/tfsearch.php\"><input type=\"text\" name=\"search\"><input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value=\"Search!\"></form>
Old 09-23-2004, 02:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yes tried both but thanks anyway
Old 09-23-2004, 03:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

What mobo is it?? N' are u using an USB keyboard?

AMD AthlonXP3000+@ 2.2GHz, Cooler Master Aero 7+, Gigabyte 7NNXP , 1GB Kingston HyperX PC3200 Dual Channel , MSI FX5600 VTDR 256 ,Pinnacle PCTV , 120+120GB Barracuda , Liteon 52x CDRW , Samsung DVDROM , Benq DW1620 16x DVD ReWriter, Phillips 21\" TV,Samsung Syncmaster 763MB,Logitech Cordless MX DUO , Thermaltake Silent PurePower 480W Butterfly Series PSU, Win XP SP2,RH9.
Creative DDTS100 Decoder, Creative Inspire TD7700 7.1 Speakers

Search TF B4 u post { Thanks for this one! Emily :) }
<form action=\"http://www.theriddlehouse.com/random/tfsearch.php\"><input type=\"text\" name=\"search\"><input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value=\"Search!\"></form>
Old 09-23-2004, 03:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

It's an old Jetway BX2100 using PS2 mouse
Old 09-23-2004, 04:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via ICQ to Demalii Send a message via AIM to Demalii Send a message via Yahoo to Demalii

maybe the bios is corrupt, try installing another version or another copy of it onto your computer
Old 09-23-2004, 04:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I'm afraid I've done that by upgrading to a newer version

Closed Thread