ClockGen Overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krogen

Baseband Member
Hey everyone. This is my first post so if something's wrong with it, please don't flame :)

All right. Couple months ago I used the BIOS settings to overclock my PC. Here's what I have:

Windows XP SP2 w/ latest patches
Albatron K8X800 Pro 2 with 1.06a BIOS motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (ClawHammer)
1024 MB DDRAM (512MB of 3200 and 512MB of 2700)
Gigabyte NVIDIA 6800 128MB DDRAM OC 360MHz proc 730MHz mem
Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM Hard Drive w/8 MB cache
350 Watt Power Supply
5 case fans / runs cool

When I tried overclocking with the BIOS setting the motherboard wouldn't POST so I had to reset my BIOS. That scares the crap out of me and I stopped playing God :). 3-4 months ago (before I got my new graphics card) I downloaded and ran ClockGen and I got up to 2700 MHz (from 2,000). Amazingly, it ran all right. I didn't want to burn anything so I went down to 2,200MHz. Cool and quiet.

Couple days ago I decided to raise the bar. When I went from 2.2GHz my system kept freezing. Even if I OCed it by 1MHz.

BTW, with my PC I can't change the multipliers (Don't know if that matters or not).

Any ideas? Suggestions?

THANKS!

well i won't flame, but i'll give u suggestions :D

1.) amd 64's have locked multipliers, the only thing you can do is raise the HTT/FSB and/or lower the multiplier
2.) don't use ddr400 and ddr333 ram, because then the whole system will underclock itself
3.) i'm guessing you probably have crap generic ram; you'll need good ram to OC
4.) overclocking using clockgen is bad, you should OC in the bios instead
5.) your power supply is probably generic (no brand, or a brand no one has heard of), you'll need a better one if you plan on OCing
6.) run prime95 for few hours to see if your system is stable
7.) that albatron motherboard is bad and isn't made for OCing, try to get a good board that will actually allow OCing and can OC good (i.e. if you're using AGP, the msi k8n neo2 platinum)
8.) clawhammers run the hottest of all amd 64's, so you MIGHT want to get aftermarket cooling such as the zalman 7700cu

so in conclusion, you'll need to spend $$ for OCing

Isn't overclocking idea about not spending a cent and getting a boost of performance? :)

http://www.xoxide.com/35tuposu.html -my powersupply-kinda cheap :p-

8) Clawhammers are also the ones that are very good for overclocking, right? I have a decent airflow in my PC (2 fans on the back, 1 on the top, two on the left).

yea, but with cheap ram, you can overclock at all :(

meh, cheap=bad :(

response to #8.) clawhammers are actually the worst at OCing because they run the hottest (they have 1MB L2 cache, as opposed to the newcastle and winchester, which has only 512k L2 cache)

But they DO have higher stock voltage (which also increases systems temperature) which gives them overclocking adventage.

No the higher voltage doesnt give them them an advantage, because you can take a whinchester and put it at clawhammer voltages, and the whinchester will OC higher and run cooler.

About your speeds, usually when you OC something very high, it sometimes doesnt want to OC to that speed again, both me and nubius and codiene have faced that...

Krogen, you havent mentioned anything about voltage. What voltage are you at? Within those OC. Same with your RAM, what DDRV you at?

I'm at 1.5V (standard, I think). Should I go up?

Anyways, my PC screwed up for whatever reason and, since I was 'fixing' it for 3 days or so, I gave up and sent it to the service. Maybe now they'll do something to it (I already formatted the drive but...) that will fix the problem. Maybe the problem was in the software?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom