Clearing BIOS password

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMD_Man0

Solid State Member
I had a question for you guys. I know you normally can't overclock big box computers like HP, dell, IBM/Lenovo. I have an HPE 410y and today I was looking at the motherboard specs on HP"S website and I came across this.

Motherboard Specifications, N-Alvorix-RS880-uATX (Alvorix) HP Pavilion Elite HPE-410y Desktop PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

If you scroll down you'll see a section called clearing the BIOS password. What I was wondering is if you follow the directions given and clear the Bios password then will that over-ride the Bios so you would be able to overclock the CPU?

No. The BIOS password is a password that gets set so the BIOS cannot be edited; not to prevent overclocking. You can't overclock on mainstream computers because they just simply don't have the options for it in the BIOS. They aren't designed that way.

O ok. I was just wondering. What made me wonder was this "The BIOS password is used to protect BIOS settings from unwanted changes." I didn't know if they meant general changes or something big like being able to change the CPU speed.

There are times where a special key combination can be used to access certain features of a BIOS that would allow basic overclocking, but manufactures have gotten rid of this for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom