Cheapest Chip with highest OC that remains stable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bot2011

In Runtime
Just curious if anyone knows the answer to this question.

Cheapest Chip with highest OC that remains stable?

I've seen the e4300, which is $117 I believe in newegg, OCed to 3.0+GHz. For about $50 more, to get the e6320, you get 2mb more of cache, and a very good overclocking potential. At least 3.0+GHz as well.

well in terms of perentage a pentium 3 overclocks like the **** lol you can get a 100% increase on those but that only ends up as around 1ghz in the end. The 3600+ will get you far on a tight budget but the e4300 or e6320 are your best bets

I'd say the e2140 or e2160...they get to about 3-3.2...occasionally 3.4...and they aren't quite as fast as the e4 or e6 series...yet they are still significantly faster than AMD processors.

The reason I ask this question is because I see alot of folks recommending the e6600 because of its OC ability.

Now let's put a slight twist on things. If you could chose a chipset and wanted to get say 4.0+ which would you get and how high do you think you could get it to go and remain stable for say encoding and other media related activities?

The reason I ask this question is because I see alot of folks recommending the e6600 because of its OC ability.

Now let's put a slight twist on things. If you could chose a chipset and wanted to get say 4.0+ which would you get and how high do you think you could get it to go and remain stable for say encoding and other media related activities?

The P35 chipset if the budget allows..otherwise 965P...

there's no guarantee your e6600 will get to 4.0ghz though.....in fact I highly doubt you'll be able to do that without watercooling and a good stepping.

Agreed with gurusan.

Hey, how do the P35s stack up against the 965Ps, for overclocking?

Agreed with gurusan.

Hey, how do the P35s stack up against the 965Ps, for overclocking?

About the same...lots of the mobos are new so it will take a bit for the bioses to mature...but they are clocking quite well...

The Gigabyte DQ6 has been doing 450-500mhz and people are saying that they should to 550-600fsb soon.....which is more than enough headroom unless you have your multiplier at 2x or something lol

I'd say the e2140 or e2160...they get to about 3-3.2...occasionally 3.4...and they aren't quite as fast as the e4 or e6 series...yet they are still significantly faster than AMD processors.

meh...i guess "significantly" is subjective.
and i dont think that a 2140 @ 3ghz will outperform my 3600 at the same speed. i will need some serious comparisons before i buy that opinion. and it still costs 25-30% more. even if it does outperform 3600 sometimes, does it perform 25% better? NO. the cheap allendale cpus are not conroes, no matter how hard they try. but they are pretty cheap.
cheapest cpu with high oc that remains stable? i run my 3600 at 3.1 everyday, and it cost a whopping 59 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom