Which cd rom disk on first boot- winxp or sata hdd disc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

True_Orb

Daemon Poster
I read that to install an OS on my comp I need to insert the winxp disc and the mobo driver floppy, but my hdd manual says if I dont have a current working hdd to use its disc before anything else.
Do I do the winxp/driver floppy thing AFTER I use the hdd disc?

Thanks.

Problem Solved, stupid Orb forgot to plug in power cord!

True_Orb,

You need to have sata drivers loaded from your CD to a floppy to install them. Now , just boot OS from the ROM drive and press F6 and insert the floppy with sata drivers on it and install.
Forget the manual..

Is that a disk I need in addition to the SATA disk that came with my motherboard, or is that what you are talking about?

Do I do the winxp/driver floppy thing AFTER I use the hdd disc?

Iam sorry, I think i parsed your question wrong... can you explain a little more ,what you mean by the above statement? :confused: :rolleyes:

I thought I explained this to you already?

Put in the WinXP CD...make that the first boot device... also put in the floppy.

Boot from WinXP CD and Hit F6 right away when it says so at the bottom when it first turns blue. It'll then ask you to specify the drivers and it will access the floppy.

You told me that, but it didn't get me anywhere. =/
I hit F6 asap (which is when it asks me to) and then it starts installing things (though only the cd rom drive light is flickering) after which point I hit S to select additional mass storage device, and it says to insert a disk in Drive A and like I said it sais "Please Wait" and then just goes back to the original message (while this happens the A drive light is solid).

SATA RAID ROM is enabled.

Should I get ANOTHER floppy with drivers from seagate website or something? I did use the seagate cd to format/partition the hdd before trying to install winxp, could that be a problem?

Here's some screen shots :)
http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/faq/sata_detect.html

I think I will try inserting the diskette after hitting F6 and then I will use another diskette to download drivers from ABIT website *edit* Apparently that is out of the question since my current comp's A drive is not working either.

intercodes said:
Iam sorry, I think i parsed your question wrong... can you explain a little more ,what you mean by the above statement? :confused: :rolleyes:

Upon my FIRST boot up of the computer I put in the Seagate CD ROM disc that came with the hdd and formatted/partitioned the hdd.
Next is when I went to install winxp and use the floppy (which isnt working).

Could the hdd disc have caused any problems, was I supposed to just install the winxp cd right off the bat? If so, what do I do about it?

MS, A-bit, and Seagate aren't being helpful. GRR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom