CCleaner question

Status
Not open for further replies.

braz

Daemon Poster
What do I have to un check in CCleaner so it doesnt get rid of all of my saved passwords on forums and such? Thanks TF

As soon as you click the cleaner button when the program opens you look just to the right in the center window to see the Windows tab opened by default. The items are right there at the top of the column there for cookies, history, offline content, etc.

The Applications tab will see many of the same under the FireFox heading. CCleaner is only used here for seeing temp folders removed so I simply uncheck anything and everything and not have a worry.

I use Firefox, and I use the extension CookieCuller to protect the cookies I want to save, i.e. my password cookies and such. On CCleaner, I uncheck the cookies option on Firefox so they are left undisturbed... I will go back and clean them up through CookieCuller myself.

It would work the same way for IE. Leave the cookies to keep your logins.

When first going to use CCleaner I hadn't exactly unchecked anything in order to see how the free program performed. With FF 2.0 on along with IE 7 and even Safari 3.1 used on occasion I double check myself anytime I go to use it to avoid seeing anything wiped.

Simply making sure those are unchecked in the Windows tab will preserve the IE cookies and history as well as doing that in the Applications tab for FireFox. That catches everybody offguard the first time they go to use CCleaner seeing all passwords and other things cleaned.

Just checked mine to see what I had unchecked. For FF, it is cookies and saved form information. I seldom use IE, so I have all of them checked for it.

For strictly using one browser only you would simply uncheck the ones that apply like FF there in the application tab. For general advice I simply recommend unchecking them all since it is advertised as a drive cleaner used mostly for freeing up a drive of otherwise useless garbage.

For the volume of links and favorites here that would likely exceed FF's bookmarks I still generally use IE as a rule while keeping FF and even Safari around. Mainly that's due to no dsl drivers for Linux found where FF is the browser employed there.

But leaving them unchecked, you miss out on the best features of the app. CCleaner deletes all the crap the browser has on your hard rive... as well as erasing any traces of where you have been (I have a lot of people who want it just for that reason).

Most of what CCleaner deletes is my temp files. That opens up a lot, especially if I have been hitting YouTube or LiveLeak.

When it knocks out saved passwords seeing a need to re-enter user names and passwords constantly you can understand why many would prefer to simply uncheck those items. As for cleaning up IE histories there are some other utilities that will do that easy enough.

When first trying it out and wondering why cookies as well as other are being wiped one expression would be: "what's this? I thought thiis was a drive cleaner not an IE cleaner!" :mad: GGrrr...

Here I may end up wiping a partition anyways and use it every once in some lengthy period. Every so often when everything like IE favorites and llinks get the periodic backup as well as simply dunping a few saved I'll check off everything when going to run it then.

For a thorough cleanup programs like Evidence Nuker and other security apps actually perform far better for removing traces of where you've been in that sense. Those are also useful when going to sell or trade used systems too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom