CCC, does it overclock ATI cards ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeyboy

Daemon Poster
Just wondering if I can use the built-in overclocking tool that comes with the catalyst control centre?

My 4870 is at stock, which is 750mhz GPU clock and 900mhz memory clock according to CCC.

Although oddly it also says 500mhz at the bottom for the clock....

ccc.jpg

Anyway I thought I would try overclocking my card to try and get a few more FPS out of crysis vanilla. Can I just try moving the sliders to the right a little and see how it goes temperature wise(obviously I can always turn up the fan)? Or do I have to do some other things?

It says 500mhz at the bottom because some cards go into a low power mode when they're not in use. It will go to full speed when it needs to. I use CCC to overclock and it's worked fine for me. Just go slow and watch the temps. All you have to do is move the sliders up a few mhz at a time, and test it out.

It says 500mhz at the bottom because some cards go into a low power mode when they're not in use. It will go to full speed when it needs to. I use CCC to overclock and it's worked fine for me. Just go slow and watch the temps. All you have to do is move the sliders up a few mhz at a time, and test it out.

ah right ok. I've read a little guide about doing each slider seperately, not oc'ing both togther.

^^ Definitely not mate.. because odd combinations happen when you OC. I noticed one time I got 750/1040 and it was stable, I was worried about temps, dropped em both at the same time to 725/1000 and in the same situation it would artifact during the stress testing I do.

But for an HD 4000 series, the CCC I think is sufficient, for the older ones, its capped too much and I would recommend something better.

EDIT: About the Omega's, I've only used them for the 9000 series Radeon's and I used to swear by them too, but now that I have a good card I haven't bothered trying them.. sorry mate

according to some big OC'ing the 4870 the OCing of the memory clock made almost no difference in framerates because the 4870 already has great memory or something.

So I'll try the GPU clock thing, if I go up by 10mhz each time is that ok? I've read you make it go up a little bit and run CCC's "test custom clocks" which is apparently quite a good testing thing, you monitor the temps. Then try playing a game like Crysis and look for any weird colours or glitches and if you don't see any it's ok and you can go up a bit more.

One questions guys. Is Crysis a bit badly coded or something? I mean It does look amazing but COD4 isn't way way worse and yet it's as smooth as anything on my resolution of 1680x1050 and high settings.

Should I expect all newer shooting games to be Crysis from now on? As in the HD4870 struggles a bit on certain parts of the game at high settings?

I would say its somewhat badly coded and overdemanding..

I doubt new games are ever going to do this overly demanding stuff, as it costs them A LOT of business, as far as I know a lot of people tryed to get rid of GTA IV PC and Crysis games as quickly as they could because of inability to play it well

I would say its somewhat badly coded and overdemanding..

I doubt new games are ever going to do this overly demanding stuff, as it costs them A LOT of business, as far as I know a lot of people tryed to get rid of GTA IV PC and Crysis games as quickly as they could because of inability to play it well

So is it that GTA 4 and Crysis are simply ahead of their time for the sheer scale of the decals, animations, foliage etc going on or is it possible if they really worked on optimizing it you could produce something similar to Crysis that would run smoothly on say a HD4870?

GTA IV is just a bad port (I know a couple of people who will argue against this, but even a couple of online reviewing sites say the same thing) because it needs a Quad-core to run well...

Crysis on the other hand was purposely meant to be ahead of its time, nVidia thought they could have cards that could beast it and have a market edge, and they were dead wrong because both still struggle with it...

GTA IV is just a bad port (I know a couple of people who will argue against this, but even a couple of online reviewing sites say the same thing) because it needs a Quad-core to run well...

Crysis on the other hand was purposely meant to be ahead of its time, nVidia thought they could have cards that could beast it and have a market edge, and they were dead wrong because both still struggle with it...

ah right. I assume though the GTX295 can surely give you a good framerate on high settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom