cathode switch spark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calzinger

Beer
I bought a SUPER BRIGHT GREEN 12" DUAL TUBE CCFL KIT. I connected them and such, and they lit up great. To be honset, they were damned bright, maybe even three times brighter than the Logisys ones I bought.

The switch was a bit warg since it wasn't one of those PCI slot switches, but I opened up an optical drive panel and threw it there.

However, as I was moving the switch around slightly, it made a huge spark and my system just shut off. Obviously not a good sign. I then tried turning the system on again, and it shut off immediately (you could see the fans spin for a split second and slow down again).

I removed the green cathodes and the system booted fine. I figured "oh well".

I then threw the cathodes back in again with the switch up at the front of the case. Without even moving it this time, it just made a loud spark but the system remained on. It made a good black mark on my aluminum front panel. I just decided to remove the cathodes for good and replace 'em with my red ones.

I've contacted Vastech to see what's up with them. Do you think the switch wasn't insulated enough, or is the switch simply not meant to be moved or put around certain conductive things?

I honestly think that would be very stupid to have a highly open conductive switch inside a computer case. Then again, why wouldn't you make the switch for a PCI slot? How are you supposed to shut the bloody thing off any other way?

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but I figured cold cathodes goes under case modding.

well i have two sets of cathodes with a normal black rocker switch which is what i guess your talking about

and what i did was drill holes in a drive bay cover and have them mounted there

much easier than leaning around the case and feeling around for the pci switches

i think you have the two wires touching which is why they sparked so that was kinda retarded you kinda look before you put power through any sort of a connection

and yes it was a design flaw by the company but it was also oversight by you

My cathodes were bare metal, open to the air, i sparked my case MANNNYYY a time. Black marks are all over lol.

No it's not safe, and many comapnies don't know how to make proper switches.

I put electrical tape all over the switch and covered the metal, so it wouldn't spark anymore. You should do the same.

@aspire
I have my case set sideways on my desk so the back fo the case is actually closer to me. I could see the whole back panel while sitting down whereas the front is not visible.

However, I don't think two wires were touching. The switch was free-hanging outside the front panel, far away from any other system component in an obvious fashion.

I don't mind where the switch is. The way my case setup (sideways) makes it very easy to reach the front or back, also exposing the window side panel in the best possible way. My only issue obviously is the sparking.

@4W4K3
If electrical tape will definitely reduce spark, I may end up wrapping the whole switch with tape. Think that will work?

Could consistent sparking and system shut downs potentially damage hardware? Was I lucky that my system booted up fine after the first incident?

If spark-caused shutdowns could potentially damage the hardware and electrical tape still provides a slight risk, maybe my best solution would be to exchange for the logisys. I would have done that in the first place, but svc hasn't had the green ones in stock for months. It's too bad though. These cathodes are damned bright.

My cathodes were bare metal, open to the air, i sparked my case MANNNYYY a time. Black marks are all over lol.

No it's not safe, and many comapnies don't know how to make proper switches.

I put electrical tape all over the switch and covered the metal, so it wouldn't spark anymore. You should do the same.
Whoa you still exist!?! lol :D

Nubius said:
Whoa you still exist!?! lol :D

heck yes. i came out of my hole for some fresh air :)

it worked for me, the electrical tape i mean. sparks and zaping the case can be harmful too, so you want to stop it immediately. for safest measures, i'd just exchancge it if thats possible.

I did as you said, wrapped the thing in electrical tape. Though I don't know if "wrapped" is the right term. "engulfed" may be a better choice.

So far, no spark problems at all, even after playing with the damn switch for a good long while.

I emailed the tech support, and they said they would send me another one. Heck, I guess that doesn't hurt either.

Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom