Case Temp Monitors. Placement of temp readers? AS5 Application Technique?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oddsk8er

Baseband Member
Ok my case comes with 2 temp readers. I put one on my CPU but it always remains at around 25 degrees. I know that when I first turned on my computer (the very first time ever) I didn't have the temp readers in place. I just held the readers in my hands just to see if they were working, and they were. After that first boot (CPU, ram, video only) i turned off the computer, took the heat sink fan off the cpu and cleaned both off fairly thoroughly with some alcohol. There was still some residue on the hsf because of the little nooks and crannies but it was as clean as i could get it. I reapplied the arctic silver 5 and the hsf, but with the temp reader this time.

Now the problem is just the fact that the temp reader isn't reading my cpu temperature. How should I get the temp reader to stay on the cpu? My HSF is the JET 4 from cooler master so when i try to put the fan on, it kind of pulls the reader away from the cpu. Like where you put the retention clips on, the heatsink will pinch (not really pinch it but you know) the cable for reader down and i think thats pulling the reader away from the cpu. Also, does placement of the temp reader on the CPU matter? Can I put it smack in the middle in the midst of the AS5 or is that a detriment to the cooling capacity? I would really like to see my CPU temps without having to quickly tab out of a game and open my asus PC probe to know how cool im running.

Also, I may have applied the AS5 incorrectly, or possibly I did the AS5 "warm up" or whatever wrong (lol I had played maybe 8 hours of games, then went to sleep without turning computer off. 2 nights in a row). Where you run the cpu for some hours (don't remember, but the number 50 comes to mind :question: ) while turning off the computer every once in a while. I applied the AS5 on my P4 2.8c like the website told me to do. Took a small "rice sized" amount of the AS5 and put it on the middle of the cpu heat spreader and then put the HSF on it. I applied slight pressure and twisted the hsf fan around on the cpu to spread the AS5 more and remove air, then put on retention clips and tried to do the same again just to be sure.

The reason why I'm asking about this is because I seem to have such a high load temp than what other people have been getting and reviews have been reporting. Most of the load temps that ive been seeing for the JET 4 HSF have been around 43-47 C. When I run Raven Shield, Far Cry, America's Army, UT2K4, any game really, and check the CPU temp its at around 55 C before it starts dropping (because I tab out the cpu temp starts to drop to around 40ish).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom