Case problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Callmege

Beta member
OK this is gonna be a ride but hang in there please!

I wanted to upgrade my pc to last me for another few years. I decided on buying an X800 PRO (PCI-e version). The problem with this was that I had no PCI-e slot on my current motherboard. So I needed a new mobo. No problem. I decided that I might aswell get a new CPU too (though this is irrelevant). My mobo is pictured below:
4d_1_b.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....5039&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_ReBay_Pr4_PcY_BID_IT

It's a nice board with an intel 915G Chipset. This is where my real problems began. After stripping my old mobo out of my case I quickly found that my new mobo was incompatible with my old case. Right! I thought. No problem! I'll buy a new case! So I went to ebuyer.com. I browsed through the cases and decided that I wanted one that looked good, preferably black.

I saw that I could have a look at pictures they had taken of the cases and decided to do so. SHOCK HORROR! The case did'nt have the right socket setup at the back. "Meh" I thought. I'll look at another case. I soon began to realise that all cases had exactly the same sockets setup on the back of the case:
R0088470-03.jpg

I looked at a few more computers, some old ones of mine and some at school and guess what? Only the shitty old ones in 1 department at school had that particular setup. You can see the setup of my new mobo from the first pic. What can I do about this? Is there a special type of case I need?

My mobo is apparantly a microATX (you can see for yourself what it says on the ebay link under the first picture)

Thanks
Callmege.

if you got a new motherboard then it should have came with that metal piece that goes on the back, it just pops out...then you can insert the new one...

It wasn't boxed thats why I got it so cheaply.

So in theory, I could pop down the local computer modding place and pick one up that will fit right?

dude sorry but I had a smile on my face when reading your little story, thought it was quite funny how you seemed to have a solution to everything, but all slutions in the end failed.

hahah an I/O shield isn't a huge deal. I have dozens of systems that don't have one. If you're really anxious just call up Intel or pop by your local store and see if they have any spare ones. They usually go for 5 cents a pop up here ^_^

Shumway said:
If you can't find one you might have to call Intel up and see if they can help you out,If not you can alway's just take it off and leave it that way ;)

I was thinking of maybe leaving it off yeah....nice avatar btw.

Callmege said:
I saw that I could have a look at pictures they had taken of the cases and decided to do so. SHOCK HORROR! The case did'nt have the right socket setup at the back. "Meh" I thought. I'll look at another case. I soon began to realise that all cases had exactly the same sockets setup on the back of the case:
R0088470-03.jpg
That back plant should be removable. Some one them just pop out. Others might be a little harder and you need to flat head screw driver and almost break the plate out.

Motherboard will have the proper back plain. If it doesn't, take it motherboard back to your computer store and ask them to supply the back plate.

Otherwise, contact the manufacturor for the motherboard and get a back plate from them or your local distributor / importer.

Callmege said:
I was thinking of maybe leaving it off yeah....nice avatar btw.
You can do that. Otherwise, I had made a back pannel from Duct Tape or Masking Tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom