case modding tools/ideas - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Closed Thread
Old 11-04-2003, 08:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Lightbulb case modding tools/ideas

I've decided to mod my case some more, after having removed the blue cold cathodes in the bubble lights and made them green...I was wondering what is the ideal tool to cut/shape the sheet metal top of a case with???

I'm thinking about removing the "flower-like" design as my roomates put it...and also adding a spacious window and another 80mm green tri led fan to top (blowing out of course hot air rises).

there is another matter I'm uncertain of, there seems to be the mounting for 4 80mm intake fans in the lower front panel but there are no airflow vents from the outside, save for the door over the usb/audio ports and maybe if I remove the covers on unused 3.5" bays . They seem to be positioned just right to cool off the bottom 4 nonexistant hard drives I have...

I was wondering if it would seem feasable to remove this 5"x5" plastic panel containing temp gauge, reset/power switches and relocate them in a 3.5" bay with a more permanent cover??? Are there 3.5" covers that you can customize with your own switches toggles available for pretty cheap?

Or maybe I should just "drill some holes in it," not picking fun but someone got flamed for that one based on overall looks

heres the case, just in 'case' you were wondering what I'm messin with:

Old 11-05-2003, 06:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

The best tools to use for case cutting and modding are Dremel Tools. The tips are cheap and you can do some very detialed mods that way. As far as your display/buttons window, that is something that you would create, cause I have never seen anything special like that. The only concern is the LCD, being that you have to make sure your cabels are long enough. Should be good though...
The venting really doesn't need a huge opening for air flow, kind of acts like a hood scoop, only reversed (large suction small opening/large opening large airflow) as long as there is a way for air to get there, it will. A lot of cases have a small opening at the bottom of the from panel. This seems to be enough. Larger towers will have a section dedicated for this, but then they also have a screen system for clearing the air flow.
Hope this helps.

Old 11-05-2003, 10:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

thnx for the info, helped alot. Gonna try to cut it up this weekend and relocate those panels later on, just too much work at the moment with schoool and all..
Closed Thread