Case mod in a Sega MegaDrive/Genesis With a Sega CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMosh

Baseband Member
Hi

Quick question if you guys are familar with the sega CD,it failed,it sucked,and only had one good game sonic CD :).

Anyways am doing a case mod project,and im putting a computer ina a sega megadrive/genesis.now that was the intial idea,but i want to keep it looking as stock as possible.ive already done this with the NES,SNES is still in the making.

Now when i thought about the project i thought to myself,i should use a broken Sega CD add on,and use this for the disc drive. Now the cd hardware is a pop open top (understand that please lmfao) with a spindle. Now my question/problem is is there any CD/DVD drives outhere that run on a spindle? i know thatl sound noobish an il be proberly wrong but il ask the experts to make sure.

If there isnt then am gona have to think of some how esle to do this,any suggestions or help is appeciated as always

Thanks Guys

iMosh

I don't think you're going to find something like that, but I will say your best bet would be to fashion a DVD drive to eject outwards, and you can either use the pop open Sega CD as a cd storage, or you can take out the original mechanism and use it to peer into the actual CD tray or something. Just speculation.

Would be interested in seeing this come about though, I have a grand total of 5 Genesis systems, so I wouldn't mind hacking one up for something like this.

I thought about doing the same thing with a play station 2 chassis. Consoles tend to be small, so I recommend using a mini-itx board. As for the spindle, none that I know of. PCs are built on standards, and one of those is the physical format of drives. CD/DVD drives fit into 5.25inch bays and are either slot or tray based. Since the pc has a top a spindle type like your sega or a walkman would not be well suited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom