Case Mod Project: ..:: L A N B O Y - A P O C A L Y P S E ::..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mnpctech

Daemon Poster
antec_lanboy_thermaltake_swordm_radiator_apocalypse_kylevdm_mnpctech.jpg

This log highlights photos from the PC project video I'm doing with "Mod Brothers Podcast" Host, Kyle Van Der Mewre (aka Kylevdm). ..."I don't care what we do, as long as we mod something" Kyle told me before arriving in Minneapolis. I recalled the disdain we shared for Antec's LANBOY Air when it was released. I proceeded to uncover the dusty sample I reviewed for Episode #5 of "Mod Men" ....One day before Kyle's arrival I stripped down the LANBOY and implemented ideas that Kyle could contribute during his 2.5 day visit. The only elements that remained of the LANBOY Air was it's frame and 2 side panels.

PC Designer, Engineer, & Modder "Cheapskate" contacted me 2 weeks prior to Kyle's visit with photos of a Stainless Steel Reservoir he was developing. The design looked very industrial, like a vacuum chamber. It ignited my imagination of a sci-fi theme for our project. Let's transform it into something that resembles a make shift portable Nuclear Fusion Generator in a Post-Apocalyptic landscape. Created from parts salvaged by an Engineer after a fictional WWIV. As we worked, the fictional story started to take life... "He worked as a Senior Engineer at Los Alamos National Laboratory in their Developmental Dept before it was demolished in 2010." ...... From this point on, the build took on it's own life...

antec_lanboy_review_thermaltake_swordm_radiator_apocalypse_mnpctech.jpg

Unimpressed by Antec's Lanboy Air from Episode #5 of "Mod Men"

antec_lanboy_thermaltake_swordm_radiator_apocalypse_mnpctech1.jpg

The factory finish was sanded and scuffed up, before it was permanently turned upside down with the PSU relocated to the outside.

antec_lanboy_thermaltake_swordm_radiator_apocalypse_mnpctech2.jpg

corsair_psu_cable_management_grommet_rubber_ring.jpg

Cable Management grommets were added to the ceiling.

antec_woodcraft_hinges_laurey_lanboy_thermaltake_swordm_radiator_apocalypse_mnpctech.jpg

The side panels are suspended like Gull Wing doors with "Laurey" style Cabinet Hinges from WoodCraft, Buy Laurey Hinge Oil Rubbed Bronze No Inset Surface Mount Pair at Woodcraft

antec_lanboy_thermaltake_swordm_radiator_apocalypse_mnpctech3.jpg

antec_lanboy_thermaltake_swordm_radiator_apocalypse_mnpctech4.jpg

250mm cooling fan shroud I fabricated for the radiator from the SWORDM sent by Thermaltake for AMD build in 2006.

120mm_reactor_nuclear_fan_grills.jpg

The front intake grill is a combination of machined aluminum 120mm "Reactor" fan grill and 120mm Blow Hole kit.

antec_enermax_vegas_lanboy_thermaltake_swordm_radiator_apocalypse_mnpctech.jpg

120mm Enermax VEGAS DUO in Blue/Red combo-LED with 11 switchable LED color modes.
Factory Product Page Link, ENERMAX - Product

antec_lanboy_thermaltake_swordm_radiator_apocalypse_grill_mnpctech1.jpg

This is the front of the Lanboy chassis with 20 gauge sheet metal I fastened on, for the intake fan.

antec_lanboy_thermaltake_swordm_radiator_apocalypse_grill_mnpctech2.jpg

antec_lanboy_thermaltake_swordm_radiator_apocalypse_grill_mnpctech3.jpg

antec_lanboy_thermaltake_swordm_radiator_apocalypse_mnpctech8.jpg

The SWORDM radiator measures 8" x 9.25" wide with 3/8" barbs. The chassis was painted Charcoal Grey Metallic and Flat Black

antec_lanboy_thermaltake_swordm_radiator_apocalypse_mnpctech7.jpg

I fabricated a new bezel to accommodate the Stainless Reservoir. I combined the top panels from a Lancool K58 Dragon and Fractal-Design Arc Midi. The 5.25" Toggle switch plate is thick machined aluminum.

antec_lanboy_thermaltake_swordm_radiator_apocalypse_mnpctech5.jpg

The front intake is a combination of the 120mm "Reactor" aluminum fan grill and 120mm Blow Hole kit.

antec_lanboy_thermaltake_swordm_radiator_apocalypse_grill_mnpctech4.jpg

After painting the bezel Charcoal Grey Metallic, I added Round version of Modders Mesh to the openings in the sides.

If anyone can make the LanBoy presentable its you guys, but there has got to be some serious work ahead of you.

Won't lie, part of me hopes this gets half finished with a final post of "this case is beyond anyone's help".

Thanks for tuning in and commenting everybody.

Yes, you're correct Clown, Thank you!

I hope this video will make up for the lack of videos made over past months. Lots of great footage of this project including Kyle's visit, including a cabaret of characters I know and ventures outside of the workshop.

antec_lanboy_thermaltake_swordm_radiator_apocalypse_mnpctech6.jpg

250mm is installed on the radiator. Fitting the new bezel and it's fastener screws. This will be painted Charcoal Grey Metallic, to match the chassis.

antec_lanboy_thermaltake_swordm_radiator_apocalypse_mnpctech9a.jpg

Road Warrior action figure discovered while touring Peacock Groove workshop in my warehouse on Thursday night. It won't be implemented in the project, but reminded of us of a grungy "Post-Apocalyptic" atmosphere from the movie, and inspired an idea or two for the build on following day.

antec_lanboy_thermaltake_swordm_radiator_apocalypse_mnpctech9.jpg

Kyle is implementing UV Green Transparent acrylic windows...

antec_lanboy_thermaltake_swordm_radiator_apocalypse_mnpctech9m.jpg

Flipped MB tray with EVGA X58 and i7 920, cooled by XSPC Raystorm Waterblock

Thank you for sharing your comments! The Stainless Steel Reservoir made by Cheapskate with Transparent Purple acrylic caps and clear acrylic clamps.

antec_lanboy_thermaltake_swordm_radiator_apocalypse_mnpctech_stainless_steel_reservoir1.jpg

antec_lanboy_thermaltake_swordm_radiator_apocalypse_mnpctech_stainless_steel_reservoir2.jpg

antec_lanboy_thermaltake_swordm_radiator_apocalypse_mnpctech_stainless_steel_reservoir3.jpg

antec_lanboy_thermaltake_swordm_radiator_apocalypse_mnpctech_stainless_steel_reservoir4.jpg

Determining the Res location over the Mnpctech blowhole ring on the front of the PC......

antec_lanboy_thermaltake_swordm_radiator_apocalypse_mnpctech_stainless_steel_reservoir_installed1.jpg

I fabricated the Bezel from Fractal-Design Arc Midi and Lancool Dragon K58 top panels

antec_lanboy_thermaltake_swordm_radiator_apocalypse_mnpctech9p.jpg

The custom bezel was given distressed and weathered paint effect.

antec_lanboy_thermaltake_swordm_radiator_apocalypse_mnpctech9q.jpg

The bezel is painted with Charcoal Grey Metallic paint, then highlighted with Flat Black paint.

antec_lanboy_thermaltake_swordm_radiator_apocalypse_mnpctech9r.jpg

Areas of the painted are scuffed with red Scotch-brite pad to create weathered effect.

antec_lanboy_thermaltake_swordm_radiator_apocalypse_mnpctech9s.jpg

Areas of the painted are scuffed with red Scotch-brite pad to create weathered effect.

antec_lanboy_thermaltake_swordm_radiator_apocalypse_mnpctech_xspc_raystorm.jpg

The Core i7 920 is cooled by the XSPC Raystorm Waterblock.

Kyle and I visited Brad Galvin's paint shop to borrow his space and give Kyle a crash course in airbrushing 101. He airbrushed shadows on the reservoir and more weathered effects on the PSU, gpu and bezel.... Kyle is using Brad's Iwata's HP-CH airbrush gun with Black enamal paint

antec_lanboy_thermaltake_swordm_radiator_apocalypse_mnpctech9b.jpg

antec_lanboy_thermaltake_swordm_radiator_apocalypse_mnpctech9c.jpg

antec_lanboy_thermaltake_swordm_radiator_apocalypse_mnpctech9d.jpg

antec_lanboy_thermaltake_swordm_radiator_apocalypse_mnpctech9f.jpg

antec_lanboy_thermaltake_swordm_radiator_apocalypse_mnpctech9e.jpg

Sticker we found on Ebay and scuffed and tore a bit. You can see it in photo below, before it was airbrushed over....We gave the ASUS GTX 560 Ti's factory fans and shroud a "Steampunk" makeover.

antec_lanboy_thermaltake_swordm_radiator_apocalypse_mnpctech_asus_560_gtx_ti.jpg

Kyle made the Copper rings while I modified the factory shroud.

mesh5.32.jpg

Round Modders Mesh for the shrouds, Modders Mesh

antec_lanboy_thermaltake_swordm_radiator_apocalypse_mnpctech9i.jpg

Kyle airbrushing aged and weathered effect on the "steampunk" inspired shroud.

antec_lanboy_thermaltake_swordm_radiator_apocalypse_mnpctech9h.jpg

Thank you everyone for tuning into this project log and sharing your comments and feedback! Over Kyle's 2 day visit, we transformed Antec's Lanboy Air into our vision of something that resembles make shift portable Nuclear Fusion Generator in Post-Apocalyptic landscape..

antec_lanboy_thermaltake_case_mod_pc_apocalypse_fallout_mnpctech_xspc_3.jpg

Our Lanboy mod makes no apologies for being Mean & Nasty looking.

antec_lanboy_thermaltake_case_mod_pc_apocalypse_fallout_mnpctech_xspc_5.jpg

The Gullwing style side panels were created with spring loaded hinges. The Lanboy was painted "Charcoal Grey" metallic with "distressed and weathered" highlights.

antec_lanboy_thermaltake_case_mod_pc_apocalypse_fallout_mnpctech_xspc_2.jpg

The XSPC Raystorm waterblock is kept cool with the massive 250mm cooling fan mounted on 8" x 9.25" wide Thermaltake radiator that was taken from their "SwordM" full tower. The fan behind the Stainless Steel reservoir is Enermax VEGAS Trio in Blue/Red/Green combo-LED with 11 switchable LED color modes.

antec_lanboy_thermaltake_case_mod_pc_apocalypse_fallout_mnpctech_xspc_1.jpg

Kyle created a custom switch box for the top with plastic wire loom covering the wires. The Green faucets created the illusion of plumbing for the toxic waste. The Lanboy chassis was flipped upside down with the NZXT 850 PSU relocated to the exterior. The watercool loop exits and re-enters the interior through in the top of the PC.

antec_lanboy_thermaltake_case_mod_pc_apocalypse_fallout_mnpctech_xspc_4.jpg

Intel Core i7 970, EVGA X-58 Classified, 12 GB Corsair DDR3, Dominator-GT, XSPC Raystorm CPU waterblock, Asus ASUS GTX 560, NZXT 850 Watt PSU, Mushkin 120 GB Calisto SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom