Case Fan Positions

Status
Not open for further replies.

StinkyPlant

Solid State Member
My case temps are staying in the 34 c range and my cpu hangs in around 55 c. I was wondering if my case fan positions would help with any tempature issue i may have in the futer. I also believe that my ATI Radeon 9800 Pro is overheating. I have 4 case fans (80mm) and 2 on my 450 watt powersupply. My two rear fans are exhausting and I have One in the front at the bottom of my case that blows into my computer. The other is located sort-of behind the dual hard drives I have and it is blowing into the case as well. Is Exhaust or Circulation better?

Thanks,

System Specs
AMD Athlon 3000+ 2.17
1024 pc2100 ddr ram
8x Radeon 9800 Pro 128 mb
120 gig wd 7200
40 gig wd (backup)
Windows Xp
on a SOYO KT-400 Dragon Ultra Black

Circulation. That setup is perfect. Your ambient temps are very very average. You may wanna consider a better cooling solution for your CPU if youre concerned.

ive heard that putting an extra fan on the side of a case causes more heat because it disturbs the circulation in the case and basicaaly makes the hot air hang around instead of exiting the case, but putting an extra fan at the top of the case makes a huge improvement by exhausting the hot air that typically accumulates at the top and just basically hangs around. if your case has a mount for a fan there you should try it and if not you can mod your cae to put one there. this should help lower your temps.

yea or what people do... is they cut a round hole on the top and put a 120MM fan. But ive never heard of that before that the fans on the side disturb it. If anything... you should have a fan or 2 on the side and make it exhaust so the fan that is blowing out of the CPU fan, it just takes the hot air right out of the case...

it sounds like it should work but some tests have been done and it seems to always make the temp higher because once you get a good circulating airflow in your case the side fans disturb it and then the air doesnt flow as well and wont cool your pc as well.

With a side intake the whole idea is cooling your PCI and AGP area. It really doesnt disrupt flow that much, but I always recommend a top exhaust before side. Heat does rise...

Well i am running a 120MM top fan at about 2800rpm and its supposed to put out 92 cfm at that speed. CPU temp is 40-44 and i also have a side fan, bottom fan and 2 front fans set on intake. The top fan and the 2 back fans are set at exhaust, is this the proper set up? My power supply has 2 fans also and is a 550 watt PSU, i have the"demon" case with the lights in the front and the fans are also lighted, also have a TT cool mod grille with a Lighted side grille.

Try not to have too many exhausts. The reason companies have fans blowing into the case is because this creates a higher pressure, therefore more Atoms for heat to be transferred to from the heat sink.

The more Atoms (air molecules) you have being in contact with the heat sink, or with each other, increases the efficiency of heat dispersion (more surface area for the heat to be dissipated).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom