Card age = more artifacts over time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabb

gone
So I've had my 8800 GTX for over a year now ( built august 2007 ) and mostly kept it at 600/980 ( considered a low overclock compared to others ) instead of the stock 576/900 and could pass 45 mins of max senstivity in ATI Tool 0.26 artifact test ( did during winter ). Until recently I did a test and it failed, so i scaled it back to stock settings, but now I seemingly can't even pass 45 mins of the ATI Tool test at stock settings, so what gives? Is the lack of stability due to my cards age? BTW I set rivatuner to always have it at 100% fan speed so should I expect the fan to die soon?

Also I don't ever remember my card being this instable for artifact testing period, could it be that ATI Tool is the problem or perhaps the new nvidia drivers?

PS: In the past I always tried to encourage people to do the ATI Tool test but many wouldn't do it and the ones that did who had medium to high OCs couldn't pass 45 mins of the ATI artifact test. I really would like more info concerning the stability required to pass these tests but I find very unusually willing to do this test in comparison to CPU and RAM stability tests.

Hmmm *update*

I went to do the artifact testing again late at night when my temps were 65 idle ( low for my card ) and the settings were stock and it got a "Delta at blah blah, no errors" ( I always get this message and I assume it means errors cause its making beeps ) within the first 5 seconds but my temps were only at 70 celcius!?!?? How is this possible...usually I get errors once my temps at least go to 95 celcius+ This sorta leads me to believe something is wrong with ATI Tool and the new nvidia drivers ( I also can't overclock at all with ATI tool or ill get flashing screens ). 5 minutes later i did the scan again and got no errors for 30 mins...mind boggling...Can anyone help me out?

i would do soem more testing and rma if its got a life time warranty, they might even give you a better gpu, from what i know g80 was discontinued. and it would probably cost them more money to give you a new 8800gtx then to just toss you a gtx260

they would not toss him a gtx260

i'm pretty sure they'd give him a 9800gtx+

the gtx260 is closer in specs, look at the memory bus width and the total memory if they gave hi ma 9800gtx + he could argue its not up to par, imo the gtx260 is a more likely option, especially considerign a 8800gtx new fetches a high price still.

@ high res its tought, + they replace based on value most of the time, well xfx does. so i could see it it depends on what brad it is, if its xfx he has a good chance @ gettign a gtx260imo if its evga hes probably gonna end up with another 8800gtx as they are one of the only brands who still sell them.

ya and the price is rediculous like 400+$ still the ultra is teh worst. im mad my 8800gts whent up to 365$ like wth, its 9800gtx counter part can be had for half the price. after taxes and shipping you could get 2 9800gtx. or an hd4870, even a gtx260 lols.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom