Car DVD Player into PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dante_Caligari

In Runtime
I always wondered if it would be possible to put one of those fold out DVD players that you put in cars into your PC. I have seen this a few times here and there but I really have no idea how to go about it.

1. How to make the volume knob able to control PC volume. (If possible)
2. How to make the CD/DVD player also display on your computer screen (If possible)
3. How to make your PC's OS/Games/Apps show up on the mini-screen (If possible)

This seems possible, since both systems, car and PC work off of 12V DC, but it might be over my head. Any ideas? Has anyone ever seen a PC MOD that has one?

Kenwood Excelon KVT-817DVD \RB CD Players,MP3 CD Player,DVD Players,In-dash Video

It'd be possible. Your power supply would have to be hefty because quite a bit of current would be drawn from the head unit. What you will need to do is take the harness and figure out which wires are which - 12V DC to an appropriate 12V rail on your power supply.

For speakers etc this is what yuo want to do:
take one of the pci covers from your case: drill in a hole that will fit in a 1/8"
stereo phone plug adapter (female) - connect that with wires to the RCA OUT on your Head unit - dont use the speaker connectors to connect to this, they put out too much wattage - especially to powered computer speakers.

You will need to find a way, perhaps through an adapter, to go from the mobo to the head unit (and then back out the jack that you made) - it says it has an aux input, so you're golden.

Video would be very tricky. You'd be going from a vid card to somewhere in the head unit...it doesnt look like it has an aux video input, if you find one that does then you'd be money.

as far as audio goes you will need:
2 RCA left and right cables (I think, the aux input of the head unit might not be RCA, but possibly a 1/8" stereo phone plug)
1 1/8" stereo phone plug (female) with two leads you can solder two wires to

all that can be found at radio shack.

Probably will need a dremel for the case to make an appropriate mounting hole.

O dude, it is easy. My friend has a kenwood dvd screen is his truck. Buy a ~700 watt 12v to AC power converter to just plug the computer into. Just make sure the vehicle is running when the computer is running.

The plug a audio Y adapter into the headphone jack on the computer and the Left and Right RCA jacks into the inputs on the dvd player/ head unit.

I think the on we intstalled in my friends truck had a RCA video input. So the quality would not be amazing. But none the less, You could play movies and audio fine. Surf the internet a little with WiFI. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom