Can't get 2.2GHz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like my FSB/AGP/PCI ratio is 5:2:1, which means the FSB speed at 200MHz is asking too much of my AGPx4 graphics card... I am looking into a way to change the ratio to 6:2:1 but I don't think it is possible.

Nubius said:
Yup, without being able to lock the AGP at 66Mhz you are very limited

I was able to lock my AGP at 66 MHz. I still can't overclock to 2.2 GHz, and I've been through every voltage option for VCORE. Also, I loosened the RAM timings thinking it could be RAM stability, but that didn't help. Do you have any clue why I can't get up to 2.2 GHz? I've read about people with the same motherboard OC'ing to 2.2 GHz with no problems, so I'm pretty annoyed right now.

you talking specifically about your 2500+ barton?

It's hard to determine what it could be without being there honestly, unless your CPU is hitting an architectural wall simply because you just got the bad luck of the draw, then I don't see why it wouldn't hit those speeds.

When you say you've been through every voltage option what exactly have you done? You should be able to hit that speed with no more than 1.7vcore if not less....if you're leaving your RAM at PC3200 which I suggest for first finding out your CPU limitations...then basically all you technically should need to do is raise the FSB and raise the vcore.

Yeah, I was talking specifically about my 2500+ Barton. Ok I started off by slowly raising the FSB and RAM speed (at a 1:1 ratio of course) from 166 MHz to 200 MHz in increments of 5 MHz. At each new increment, I've gone into windows and run Prime95 for about 15 minutes for stability, and then raised the FSB up 5 more MHz. This is what sucks though, I can go up to about 190 or 195 MHz at maximum. Everytime I go to 200 MHz, Prime95 gives an error after 3 minutes. So at the 200 MHz level, I've raised VCORE and tried every setting in BIOS, from the stock 1.65V up to 1.8V. No matter what the voltage is set at, I can't get stability. Do you have any other recommendations?

is your RAM infact PC3200 or is it PC2700 or something? I only ask to wonder if your RAM will go to 200 and no probs and to determine if it's simply your CPU causing the trouble.

If you've raised your Vcore then I guess your CPU just isn't wanting to go further.

Whats your stock multi, isn't that CPU stock 2GHz?

because if that's the case going from 166 to 200 would be going from 2GHz to 2.4GHz lol, so 195 would be 2.34GHz

Is your mobo a 333FSB mobo by chance?

is your RAM infact PC3200 or is it PC2700 or something? I only ask to wonder if your RAM will go to 200 and no probs and to determine if it's simply your CPU causing the trouble.

Yes, the RAM is Corsair XMS PC3200 and should run at stock speeds no problem.

Whats your stock multi, isn't that CPU stock 2GHz?

The XP 2500+ Barton is stock at 166 FSB x 11 = 1.83 GHz, so I'm attempting to overclock it to XP 3200+ speeds of 200 FSB x 11 = 2.2 GHz.

Is your mobo a 333FSB mobo by chance?

Nope, double and triple checked that. It supports PC3200 RAM, and I've read many stories of people overclocking the same CPU with the same mobo nearly right out of the box, so the the only thing I can figure is a limit with this particular CPU. What do you think?

aright I wasn't sure if your CPU was 2GHz or 1.8...that's why I asked about that..

but yeah, I'm just guessing you got the luck of the draw or something dude and just got a CPU that won't OC :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom