Cannot overclock my q6600?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ric0h

Over and Above Person
So I went into my mobo MIT intelligent tweaker.

and enabled cpu host clock control.

so then I went to cpu host frequency (mhz) and change it to 333

After I did that, the computer would not boot into vista. Anyone know what I did wrong? My mobo says FSB by O.C 1600 So I assume its not my mobo. Any thoughts?

Processor I am using: Q6600 g0 steeping made on 6/4/08 1 month ago.
Mobo: Newegg.com - Open Box: GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3P LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Dynamic Energy Saver Ultra Durable II Intel Motherboard
I got the mobo brand new, not open box.

I am just curious, but if you don't change the voltage dosent the mean it will stay as cool as it was at stock speed?

In my case, I am running with intel stock fan.

And cores Cpu is running at: 43
1 core: 52
2core: 55
3 core: 52
4 core: 58

I am currently unfolding proteins, so maybe thats why they are high.
They go at around 40's when not folding protein.

Think I can still overclock with intel stock fan?

Are you still trying to overclock on the Stock Fan, because it looks like thats causing your instability right now... either that or your VID is high, like 1.350 and you're not going to be able to hit 3.0ghz on stock settings, try increasing your voltage some and disable Speedstep like Ste said

Its quite obvious that you did not adjust any voltages or turn off C1E or Speed Step..

+1

you need to change voltage..

cpu
cpu vtt
fsb
ur north and southbridge

and all them goodiessss

voltage is the problem and solution to all overclocking related things ;)

vermong told me all I had to do is switch frequency.

Can someone tell me the voltage I need to put in? and the steep thing?

yes, overclocking is just changing frequency

but keeping stability you need to add more voltage

anywho... i don't know voltages off the top of my head... but just add it in small incredments.. i don't know how ur mobo works... but just look for things like

fsb voltage
and cpu core voltage

and raise them very slowly

cpu voltage should not go past lets say 1.45v since you are new.. and on stock cooler

keep track of ur temperatures though... on idle i wouldnt exceed 40-45c

vermong told me all I had to do is switch frequency.

Can someone tell me the voltage I need to put in? and the steep thing?

its vernong first of all..

and I said it depends on your luck... I said you MIGHT be able to hit 3.0ghz on stock voltages... nothing is ever guaranteed when overclocking...

each cpu yields its own outcome, don't ever count on having the same results as another person

not to mention each motherboard has its own vdroop and ways of handling voltages underload... there are just too many factors to consider... but lets take one step at a time.. i don't wanna blow ur mind away :p

So just change host frequency and voltage slowly? or keep frequency at 333, just increase voltage slowly?

change ur frequency maybe... 10 at a time... at the most

and voltages you only put if if you notice your system is not stable (ie... restarting.. or freezing up and what not)

set ur voltage to somethingl ike... 1.35v.. that should do you good for something like 3.0ghz without a fuss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom