cannibalizing my Gateway 700x

Status
Not open for further replies.

hello_tully

Solid State Member
I've posted several messages (and gotten a bunch of helpful responses) in the general harware forum regarding how to upgrade my Gateway 700x desktop. I am now considering building a brand new PC using as many of the parts as possible from my old Gateway. I've never done anything like this before but am confident that I can do it once I educate myself. My question for now has to do with cost and with how much of my old computer I'll be able to use. Here's the relevant information:

Gateway 700x P4 2Ghz with 100Mhz FSB
Intel 850 ATX motherboard
256MB RDRAM
40gb Hard Drive
48x CDR-RW
DVDROM
GeForce2 MMX400 video card

all housed in a tower case (looks pretty normal and fairly large to me)

I'm not at home right now but can get more specific info later on(even pictures if helpful).

What I need to know is whether I could get away with simply buying a new motherboard, processor, memory, video card, and possibly new power supply (old one is only 250watts) and use everything else from the old computer. I have no problems with my small hard drive or slow optical drives, at least for now, and it seems that if I shopped carefully, I could have a very fast new computer for about $500.

How can I find out if my old hardware is useable though? It all works fine in its current configuration.

hmm i would say ditch the board, ram , vid card, and case. for 500 though idk. you could get a good sys for 900 i would say. if you want to go AMD.

the
48x CDR-RW
DVDROM
are good (salvage them)

put a old HDD drive in, and a old cd drive and sell it in the paper.

and build a new amd system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom