hi all.
i recently completed my 1st build.
main components are:
abit kn9 ultra nforce 4 socket am2
x2 4200+ windsor
2gb corsair ddr2-800
7900gt
wd caviar 7200 hd
i am totally new to overclocking, and i have tried to do as much homework as possible.
i have tried to raise my clock speed in the bios from 200 in 5mhz increments. from 205-240, which i have read is easily reached with the 4200.every article i have read about this cpu says this is the way to oc it...but i have found no reading that deals with my specific mobo and cpu together...
when i make any changes to this setting, once i exit out of bios i get a screen that says my system is in safe mode, and cpu-z shows no increase in clock speed. everything works fine once it boots, posts ok, although i do have to use the power button to turn it on (i think this has something to do with safe mode, or cool n quiet being disabled)
i have settings in the soft menu of my mobo for external clock speed (which is the setting i change...?), pcie clock (set at 100mhz), and multiplier (set at 11, can be reduced only). i also have a setting that will change the ht multiplier (which is set at auto but can be changed to 5x, 4x, 3x, etc.).
i have not fooled with the voltage settings at all.
i have looked and looked, and cannot find anything specific to this system and it's overclocking ability.
although, i do recall reading an article that the original bios of my mobo will not allow overclocking, and needs an update from abit to work
can someone who may be familiar with my system give me advice
on which direction to take here?
bios update, voltage adjust, am i changing the wrong value, do i need to lower the ht multiplier....? any help appreciated and thanks in advance.

Well I know on my mobo we had to flash the bios to a new one in order to overclock past the 12th multiplier ie. the new bios added a multiplier. I always thought u should increase voltage when overclocking but I am new to it as well so Im not sure.

thanks for the info.
do you have the same mobo as me?
also, do you have to use a floppy to flash the bios or is there another way to do it?
i don't have a floppy drive...guess i can pick one up if need be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom