Can running GPU fans at 100% damage them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

calidar

Solid State Member
K so i was finally able to set my gpu fan speeds manually (ATI mobility radeon HD 5870 crossfire) while playing crisis 2 gettings temps of around 80c. I was however running the GPU fans on maximum.

1. Can running the fans on max for say 3 hours damage them or shorten their life?
2. Is 80c normal for a laptop GPU?

Thx guys.

Caldiar

Yes, it can shorten the life of the fan.
Essentially, the faster and hotter the fan is, the sooner the liquid vaporizes and the bearing goes bad.
However, this shouldn't significantly impact the longevity of the GPU fan.
For example, My former 5670's fan was set to 100% all of the time that I ran my computer for about a full year, and the fan never had any problems.

80c for a laptop crossfire GPU sounds decent to me. Make sure that the temps don't go much past 80ºC. Make sure that the laptop is on a flat, relatively cool surface. A laptop cooler would help as well.

I always run all of my fans on 100% all of the time. I have only had one fan die on me and that was cause I accidentally fed it to much voltage :embarrassed:

GPU fans from the olden days always stayed on no matter what. To help keep your laptop even cooler I would recommend a laptop cooler. It really does help if you get a good one. Currently, mine is being used on the 360 and it keeps it alot cooler.

54 C is a great idle temp for laptop

Most cards can deal with 80-90C no problem, we had a set of 4 BFG-tech 9800GT cards running at 110C for three years, they're JUST NOW dying

defect in the card was the reason they were running so hot, we didn't realize 'til I started work there (old timers were running things =P)

anyway you should be bueno as long as you don't keep it over 90C for days on end

The Fans out to adjust their own speed correctly but it is better to run them too fast than too slow and have to replace a different part instead of a Fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom