Can I crank my MHz up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kraut

Solid State Member
Hello,

Im kind of a newbie at processors so go easy on me. I bought a new computer around Christmas and have been thinking I was running at 2900+MHz. I found out today that I was running only at 2000MHz.

Here are my processor specs:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Field Value
CPU Properties
CPU Alias Barton
CPU Stepping A2
CPU Type AMD Athlon XP-A 2900+
CPUID CPU Name AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2900+
CPUID Revision 000006A0h

CPU Speed
CPU Clock 1999.79 MHz
CPU FSB 199.98 MHz
CPU Multiplier 10.0x
Memory Bus 199.98 MHz

CPU Cache
L1 Code Cache 64 KB
L1 Data Cache 64 KB
L2 Cache 512 KB (On-Die, Full-Speed)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is there a way to get this up to 3000MHz? What will my computer do if I crank it up to 3000mhz?

Thanks for reading,
Matt

Im kind of a newbie at processors so go easy on me. I bought a new computer around Christmas and have been thinking I was running at 2900+MHz. I found out today that I was running only at 2000MHz.
2900+ is the brand of the processor which means it runs at about the equivelant of a 2.9GHz Intel processor, as I'm sure you've noticed by now it doesn't mean that's the speed the processor runs at.

No theres no way for you to get that processor up unless you used VapoChill which is very expensive and gets your computer to subzero temperatures....

I got this information using EVEREST home edition. As you can see it says the maximum clock is 3000MHz and my current clock is 2000MHz. There must be something you can do to increase the MHz up to 3000.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Field Value
Processor Properties
Manufacturer AMD
Version AMD Athlon(tm) XP
External Clock 200 MHz
Maximum Clock 3000 MHz
Current Clock 2000 MHz
Type Central Processor
Voltage 3.3 V
Status Enabled
Upgrade ZIF
Socket Designation Socket A
-----------------------------------------------------------------

When you increase the clock speed beyond what the manufacturer has designed it for, it is called overclocking.

Perhaps you should read the stickies at the top of this forum on overclocking to get a good feel for things.

gaara said:
Care to elaborate if you disagree?

It is even on AMD's website. The AMD model ##'s have nothing to do with intel's clock speed. A 2.8ghz P4 would kill the XP in a benchmark. So they are not equal.

Voltage 3.3 V
Well for starters this is impossible for any CPU not running on LN2 or something similar, your CPU would melt with this much voltage, plus no motherboard can give that kind of vcore without a vmod (and even then I don't know if it's possible).

Therefore I'd like to say that you don't believe anything else you get from that program, I assume by maximum clock they mean the architectural limit of core either caused either by the FSB limited by the motherboard or the actual core limit itself. An Athlon XP would have a hard time getting 1GHz either way, even with LN2 or something similar.

edit -

It is even on AMD's website. The AMD model ##'s have nothing to do with intel's clock speed. A 2.8ghz P4 would kill the XP in a benchmark. So they are not equal.
Of course the Intel is going to excel in certain areas, no one is suggesting they are EXACTLY the same. The 2800+ will perform about the same as a 2.8Ghz P4 though, and that is was the rating system was established for.

Thanks alot for the answer gaara. I always thought that the 2900+ meant the number of MHz for AMD processors.

"Until a new metric is available, AMD is committed to accurately indicating the real world application performance of our processors, and has assembled a suite of industry standard benchmarks and applications that reflect typical end user applications. Based on the results of these benchmarks, AMD will identify AMD Athlon XP processors using model numbers, as opposed to megahertz. These model numbers are designed to communicate the relative application performance among the various AMD Athlon XP processors, as well as communicate the architectural superiority over existing AMD Athlon processors"

I know that each CPU has its own strong and weak points

But does it say anywhere in there that they are assigning each model # to coinside with Intel Processors and their clockspeeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom